What would cause my hen to limp?

My chicken passed away, it was a bacterial infection. Make sure she dosent strain it too much and get her vaccinated. If not get some metacam(anti inflammatory) and amoxicillin(bacterial treatment) I think. Best of luck !

I just noticed one of my hens limping on her right leg. I don't see issues with the leg itself. thanks for these postings. I'll keep her with the other chickens, but of course keep an eye on her. :( Makes me sad to see a chicken in pain. :(

Cali chick, I had a buff orpington that would fly up to a shelf 7 feet high to roost. I was amazed. I had a few that flew up on top of a cabinet and blocked it with some paint cans. Sheesh.

I have noticed this morning one of my chooks is limping badly, she tried to run but ends up hopping, not sure what has happened, cat or jumping, she has little feathers growing from the bad leg is this normal?
I have given her. Cuddles and treats and she along with the others are in the coop for now resting

I have a Barred Rock rooster. As of yesterday morning he started limping. I checked his foot out really good and cannot find any signs of any bumps or cuts or anything like that. His foot doesn't even look like it's swollen. Do you believe that it is from him jumping down off of his Roost?

I have a Barred Rock rooster. As of yesterday morning he started limping. I checked his foot out really good and cannot find any signs of any bumps or cuts or anything like that. His foot doesn't even look like it's swollen. Do you believe that it is from him jumping down off of his Roost?

Hi @BarredRockLady :frow Welcome To BYC

How old is your rooster?
There are numerous causes of limping - injury, disease and developmental disorders are a few of the more common ones.
If you have a way to limit his activity for several days to see if he improves that would be a good idea - sprains and injury can take a while to heal - place him in a cage or kennel in the run so he can with the flock. Offer poultry vitamins and a little extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat in addition to his normal food - keep us posted.

Hi @BarredRockLady :frow Welcome To BYC

How old is your rooster?
There are numerous causes of limping - injury, disease and developmental disorders are a few of the more common ones.
If you have a way to limit his activity for several days to see if he improves that would be a good idea - sprains and injury can take a while to heal - place him in a cage or kennel in the run so he can with the flock. Offer poultry vitamins and a little extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat in addition to his normal food - keep us posted.

Buddy is 5 months old. I will limit his activity and give him some extra treats. He likes to jump off the roost a lot so I am hoping that's the problem. Thank You!!

Buddy is 5 months old. I will limit his activity and give him some extra treats. He likes to jump off the roost a lot so I am hoping that's the problem. Thank You!!
Hopefully restricting his activity will let you see if he improves - if he starts to show symptoms like lethargy, going off food/water, laying down or respiratory symptoms, then you will need to investigate further.

Hopefully restricting his activity will let you see if he improves - if he starts to show symptoms like lethargy, going off food/water, laying down or respiratory symptoms, then you will need to investigate further.
Thank you so very much! I appreciate your advice. I will keep you posted.

My Roo started limping yesterday. And today I have two other hens favoring one leg. They free range during the day but come to roost at night. I just upgraded their coop to a section just for roosting because of added chicks. The new roost are about 3 feet off the ground so not to high. My question is are they hurt or is maybe bumble foot. I don’t know just have been reading. Help

Back
Top Bottom