What would dig up and eat a dead chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i had a chicken that passed away, oh gosh, a couple weeks ago. Wrapped her in tissue paper and buried her several feet deep out in a side yard i rarely frequent. Put a large rock on top of the grave. i know i saw that rock in place a few days ago. Then this morning i went out there and found something had dug up the ground, tissue paper and feathers everywhere. Most of the chicken had been eaten, but not her head.

i think the possible culprits are possum or perhaps a raccoon. We don't have minks, bears, foxes, or coyotes.

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I've had a fox and my own dog do it. Now I bury them 4 ft deep which in Ca. may be a little difficult. You have rocks.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    my dog. [​IMG]

Although, placing a cement block on top of the grave will normally deter her.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:I tried the block. Dog just dug in at an angle under the block.

5. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    Skunks and bears will.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We don't have dogs, but i have seen a skunk in our yard on several occasions. i have buried most of my chickens around a large pine tree, surrounded by a 4' fence. This is the first time i used that side yard, which is more easily accessible to critters.

7. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    This may sound harsh but I throw my carcasses in the trash to be hauled away. I processed 5 once and buried all the viscera a couple feet down and within a day they were dug up. I don't want to give critters any more reason to come around and that's why I put mine in the trash now.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    jjparke - This event made me ponder the wisdom of burying any dead chickens. i don't want critters coming around, looking for more, then trying to get into my coops. Any unexplained deaths, i take them to UC Davis for a necropsy, after which they are cremated. But this little girl died of an obvious trauma which i witnessed, so a necropsy wasn't needed. i'm going to have to rethink things here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by