What would do this? (Graphic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rrgrassi, Feb 24, 2013.

1. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I am now down to just one RIR hen. It all started about a month ago...I bought two younger RIR hens and one Golden Silkie

A week ago, I found what was left of my silkie. At that point I cut back the elm tree that was touching the top of the coop.

I added flashing around all the trees last year to keep coons and possums from climbing the trees.

Last Tuesday, I found one RIR to me missing, and the other to have its head and neck missing. I found her just out side of the coop entrance.

Today, I find the rooster missing without a trace, and one of the older RIR with her head and neck missing, body slpayed open and a wing torn off. I found the silkie like this as well, but her wings were intact. I did take a pic of the carnage.

Nothing was caught in the trap. I do know that coyotes and bobcats are in the area. I have trapped and killed plenty of coons, possums and the occasional skunk.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    The head and neck missing sounds like a hawk or owl. The pic looks like coyote or maybe raccoon. Sorry something got to your birds.

3. rrgrassi

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Thanks for the info!

What can carry off a full grown Amercana Rooster?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A coyote , bobcat, or even a fox could readily carry off a full size bird. As far as flying predators, only an eagle could manage the job.

5. rrgrassi

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I have been baiting a trap, and nothing goes in. A coyote will not fit, but a fox should, and big coons do also.

There is an eagle sanctuary about 40 miles east of here.

Thanks for the info!

I live just west of Greenville, TX.

6. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Bait your traps with that dead body... A mink and other weasels will bite off the head and suck the blood right out, but generally will go on a killing spree and kill all the chickens first... Possum like to eat out the stomache area... Coons like to eat wings n such... Coon or possum both could carry a chicken away and eat it somewhere... As could a coyote, fox or anything... And dont for a second think only an eagle could carry away a large rooster... A hawk will **** sure try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by