What would do this kind of damage? UPDATE POST #65!

get some chicken parts, put them on the dogs nose, then beat the **** out of the dogs with a 2x4.

they will get the hint.

then do it again the next day.

then give the dog the stink eye for the next week. no sympathy.

get some chicken parts, put them on the dogs nose, then beat the **** out of the dogs with a 2x4.

they will get the hint.

this is the best idea i have read so far! im surpized i didnt think of it myself! maybe a beating would be enough instead of killing, give it a try first i guess.

they will get the hint.

The only thing that will teach the dog is to be afraid of you
( I can't say what I REALLY think about your idea)

It has more to do with the fact that it stays ON all the time

The current can cause muscle contractions that keep the animal from moving.
If it never goes off they can die

A GOOD fence will "pulse" off and on
Birds are rarely shocked by fences because feathers are good insulation, but if they pecked at a wire they might not be able to let go.

http://www.afence.com/Electric_Fence/how_to_elecfence/elecinstall.htm

http://www.ibiblio.org/farming-connection/grazing/features/fencemis.htm
[/quote I know what you mean on the pulse fence. I bought this energizer because my dog was timing the pulses and going to the neighbors. after watching the dog and the turkeys I believe they can hear or feel the current. The turkeys walk up close with their head parallel to the wire,when its off they go through,on they fly over. I left the fence on for 2 weeks,no more dog or racoon problem. At this time I plug it in at night or when we are out of the area. If I had neighbor kids I would have stayed with the pulse fence. I went with the higher than needed voltage due to the weeds,grass,and tumbleweeds constantly shorting the fence out. with my tester I'm reading a 1000 volts in the wire with a weed short.

Quote: That's actually pretty weak.as far as chargers go

I run 5000-8000 volts in my fences and the chargers can put out over 10,000, but they pulse for 1/10th of a second, every second.
But then I'm running MILES of wire and fencing sheep.

The chickens will STILL walk right through it when they want, and most of the time don't get shocked at all because the feather insulate them, or the hop up on the wire but don't touch anything else

I used a non-pulsing charger for a little while when one of my other ones stopped working, and it killed several squirrels that came in contact with it.

One of them actually bit the wire then couldn't let go

You should really keep the weeds off yours since it could start a fire if they are dry.
Luckily it doesn't take a lot of voltage to keep most predators out.
They aren't well insulated, and are likely to touch it with their noses first

glad you got your answer dogs let to run loose are always problems with poultry ive lost countless birds over the years .It is legal in my state so i have addopted a shoot on sight policy for dogs and my neibors know it and keep their dogs on their property

they will get the hint.

Unless a dog is caught IN THE ACT punishment is ineffective. A dog is not going to relate "chicken parts" and a beating to killing chickens. If you looked at the pictures, these are small dogs so "beating it with a 2X4" would severely injure if not kill it.
This would be considered abuse, regardless of where you live.

I've scimmed this thread so I think that the culprit is your neighbor's dog and yours has started participating. Talk to your neighbor and tell them about the losses and that they need to take measures to prevent it. Speak to your local law enforcement, you don't need to report it but find out what measures are LEGAL in your area.

A few weeks ago, I found 2 of our neighbors dogs in our pasture after they killed a few chickens. The neighbor was spoken to and is going to keep them chained. We also spoke to a deputy and our rights are that we can kill the dogs. He also said that if it happens (we did not report it) call the sheriff and report it, they will talk to the dog's owner, if it happens again, kill the dogs, report it and the neighbor will be charged with a felony for not keeping his dog's contained. By the way, we do NOT have leash laws in the county that I live in but Alabama does have a leash law which trumps the local law.

Aversive conditioning is one of the best ways to train a dog. If you can afford it, buy an invisible fence system for your dog, put it around the coop a few feet out, the dog will get a shock whenever it approaches. It will learn not to approach. If you are friendly with your neighbor but they are still not containing their dog, you could see about putting a collar on their dog too. A less expensive alternative for your dog (but more work for you) buy a shock collar and whenever your dog approaches the coop, shock it. Place "bait" anything that is inticing to your dog near the coop and then when your dog approaches more shocks. The biggest thing with this type of training is that the dog does not realize that you are doing it. It does not become afraid of you. An intelligent dog that is scared of it's owner or people will just do things when you are not around.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom