What would do this kind of damage? UPDATE POST #65!

I would suggest at least a 25 mile charger for your perimeter wires. It sounds like overkill but there's no way a dog is going to go back for more after getting hit by that. I use a 25 mile charger on my net fence and I have the coyotes running scared.
A big charger is deffinitely effective, I was out at the coop late at night and had a skunk try the fence. He screamed like a little girl! And was promptly shot. Go BIG or go home!

Nobody ever wishes they had bought a WEAKER charger
(Unless they just backed into the fence)

PAR-MAK makes some of the best for the money, and they are AMERICAN built

http://www.baygard.com/

http://www.baygard.com/category_details.php?CId=1

goodpost.gif

guns isnt allways the answer what if it isnt him then you've just killed a inesent dog think before you say
The innocent dog should be in his own yard. If the owners of the 'innocent' dog care about the welfare of the dog they will keep it in their own yard. Are the chickens going into someone else's yard to die? Guns may not always be the answer, but sometimes they are the answer. I'm not saying I would shoot the dog, but the property owners have EVERY right to shoot the dog if it is on their property... innocent or not! The law is on their side concerning this matter.

Quote: Actually in most states it's only legal to shoot dog if they are in the ACT of attacking your "livestock" or destroying your property.

Just "being there" is NOT legal justification in most places
It's best to know the laws where you live, and follow them closely.
Many of the things suggested on this thread could get you in big trouble

The innocent dog should be in his own yard. If the owners of the 'innocent' dog care about the welfare of the dog they will keep it in their own yard. Are the chickens going into someone else's yard to die? Guns may not always be the answer, but sometimes they are the answer. I'm not saying I would shoot the dog, but the property owners have EVERY right to shoot the dog if it is on their property... innocent or not! The law is on their side concerning this matter.
i know but gie him another chance if he comes over again do watever you want

I'm not going to kill Odie! If he was attacking my children or myself that would be a reason to harm him. But it was a chicken, not a child.

I have secured my coop and made it very hard for him to try to dig his way in again. He has been around and sniffing, as has my own dog, but so far so good. I did talk to my neighbors and told them what he did. They apologized and offered to pay for the chicken and the damage. This is my neighbor that is giving me his old wooden swing set so I can convert it into a coop for my growing flock. I really like my neighbors and do not want any animosity between us. I also like Odie, he was just doing what dogs do, so I made it as close to impossible as I could for him to dig under the fence.

Back
Top Bottom