What would do this??

JoJoM

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Please, no judgement about free ranging birds. We are well aware of predators and do our best to take precautions but were
more focused on land predators. We love our birds, ducks and chickens and do our best to give them the best life possible.

We have our ducks on a 2-acre pond. They do free range. We live on a rural property and are aware of our land predators (coyotes, fox, raccoons etc.) We just found one of our girls beheaded in the pond. I am gutted, as are the kids. The pond does have wild birds and turtles - definitely a snapping turtle. Do you think it could have been the turtle? We saw her coming back from laying eggs a month or so ago and I am killing myself for not relocating her when we had the chance. She was pretty big. I found the duck in the pond all intact except her head was gone. My husband took care of a beaver the other day, not sure if there are more but I don’t believe they’re omnivores. We do have coyotes but he would have taken her (or a chickesince they’re on land!).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should be be looking at another water animal? We are in Eastern Ontario, Canada if that helps. I’d hate to have this beautiful pond for the ducks to swim in and not be able to let them use it :( I am gutted. 4F1FB010-DC23-4536-9D5E-C694F71D7A38.jpeg

Absolutely could have been the snapper. They can be ruthless. A lady at my church had a snapper attack her adult pekin. They put her down because the turtle had completely destroyed her bill. 😔
They took the smaller girl, blue runner mix, pretty girl. Sucks. We’ll have to figure out how to trap it! Water is low, it’s been hot, we’ll give it a try.

Very sorry for your loss. And just wanted to say Beavers will not kill your waterfowl but Snapping turtles sure will. Go to youtube I understand there is all kinds of info on ridding your pond of them.
Thank you. You think you’re giving them the best life, nice pond, they stay close usually. It has been so hot and dry here, they’re venturing a bit farther. Dammit! Im also down to 2 boys and 3 girls so I have some decisions to make because Im aware this won’t work. I incubated these ones and they’re only 5 months so the ratio hasn’t been a issue yet.
:(

Please, no judgement about free ranging birds. We are well aware of predators and do our best to take precautions but were
more focused on land predators. We love our birds, ducks and chickens and do our best to give them the best life possible.

We have our ducks on a 2-acre pond. They do free range. We live on a rural property and are aware of our land predators (coyotes, fox, raccoons etc.) We just found one of our girls beheaded in the pond. I am gutted, as are the kids. The pond does have wild birds and turtles - definitely a snapping turtle. Do you think it could have been the turtle? We saw her coming back from laying eggs a month or so ago and I am killing myself for not relocating her when we had the chance. She was pretty big. I found the duck in the pond all intact except her head was gone. My husband took care of a beaver the other day, not sure if there are more but I don’t believe they’re omnivores. We do have coyotes but he would have taken her (or a chickesince they’re on land!).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should be be looking at another water animal? We are in Eastern Ontario, Canada if that helps. I’d hate to have this beautiful pond for the ducks to swim in and not be able to let them use it :( I am gutted.View attachment 2806625
So sad, but I had the same thing happen to a duck and a chicken that were behind a 6’ high fence. Weasels/Minks will bite the head off of birds and sometimes leave the body behind. Good luck and I love free ranging my flock, but I do lock them up at night.

Back
Top Bottom