What would happen if I mixed cuckoo marans with barred rocks?

can you hear me now?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Southwest Missouri
Someone gave me some cuckoo means, I thought they were barred rocks but when looking at my girls I know they are not. If I mix them would the chicks look pretty close to the same? Another question is any idea how dark the eggs would be? Any answers are welcomed thanks in advance.

Already, most Cuckoo Marans (especially ones locally or easily found and obtained) lay a very poor color of egg. Crossing them to Barred Rocks, really, will just give brown eggs.

As for body type and color - You'll get barred birds with (depending on the quality of the Marans) feather shanking and a slightly more upright and meaty body (Again, depending on the quality of your Marans)

In reality, I've heard of plenty people making this cross, then conning buyers into the thought that they're purchasing true Marans. In reality, crossbreds lay just a good color as hatchery type Cuckoos.
wink.png

Thanks, not too worried about that part. I have my egg layers but the only cockerel I am keeping will be my barred rock cockerel. More of a curiosity since my silkies will he the ones hatching out eggs for me next year. The means seem to be hatchery quality but not sure which one. Most get from cackle hatchery around here but that is because they are here in this town
wink.png
. Thing is he lady I got them from doesn't buy hatchery birds often. Could be or may not be.
yuckyuck.gif
had to add that after responding
smile.png

Last edited:
I hatched a couple of cuckoo marans eggs that had been fertilized by a barred rock. I only ended up with hens, but they look pretty much just like female marans, just a little lighter. The eggs they lay are lighter than the marans, slightly darker than the rocks. As long as you have female rocks, I'd just hatch from them and forget about the marans. I think that the crosses aren't as colorful/attractive as barred rocks and don't lay eggs as dark as marans,.... so I won't be hatching any more.
rich

Back
Top Bottom