what would i get crossing these birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aran, Sep 3, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    ok am wondering what chicks I will get from various combinations of the following birds:

Roo # 1 is a RIR. He is seen here with a RIW. If i understand correctly this produces gold sex links where the chicks are buff/red for girls and white for roos?

[​IMG]

Ok how about rooster #1 with this girl...she is a "production black" which i believe is barred rock cross of some sort?
    [​IMG]

Ok this is just a cute close up of a salmon favorelle!

[​IMG]

Here are the lads the ladies get to choose from:

[​IMG]

Here is another pic of the gang enjoying the "sunroom"
    [​IMG]

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    WIth those, probably something VERY similar to the parents. Maybe a little mix of color, but probably the same overall body type.

3. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    i was specifically curious about potential sex link chicks...any clues?

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    put the red in with the white one all the way at the back with the poof on its head, dont know what you would get but take pics and add to the vent thread

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    #1 The RIR/RIW cross gives you a red sex link (there are several different crosses which give you the RSL result). I believe the Gold Sex Link reqiures a White Rock hen and a New Hampshire Red. Some companies may sell proprietary strains of the RIR/RIW and give them fancy names. AFAIK, though, it's still just a red sex link. The males will be white/yellow, the females will be buff or red.

#2 That production black looks like a Barred Rock to me. My guess is you will get a black sex link out of that mating. Both chicks will be black, but the cockrels will have a white/yellow dot on their head. I breed BSL's here at home. It's probably my favorite cross.

I have no experience with Favorelles, so I wont' coment on anything else. Except, what is Roo #2? He looks like a male RSL to me; or is he a Favorelle again?

If he is a RSL, as with ALL hybrids, do not breed him. Remove him from the pen a week before you start collecting eggs for the incubator. Hybrids do not breed true, and it's rather pointless breeding chickens. You will get no predictable, or repeatable, results. It's frustrating for me personally. But if you have lots of time on your hands, perhaps it doesn't matter to you. [​IMG]

6. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    rooster #2 is an americauna per the breeder he came from originally.

I thought the production blacks looked like barred rocks too which is why i was hoping the BSL thing would work. Thanks for the input.
    MDBUCKS--> great thinking mate why didnt i think of that? Then i could have noisy 12lb chickens that S*** in their own water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by