what would i get

the first picture is of my 3 chicks' mother, the 2nd is of my rooster and the others are of the chicks, unfortunately I don't have a picture of the father of my 3 chicks but he is a greyish black colour with brown around his neck and on his wings, that same colour that's on the black chick

Attachments

• IMG_1031.PNG
    IMG_1031.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 1
I forgot to add that my rooster's parents are the same grey and brown rooster talked about above and a splash silkie mother, although she has been dyed pink, and my rooster is a splash too

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0817.PNG
    IMG_0817.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have just received 3 Silke crosses and when they grow up they will be bred with my silkie rooster. what will their chicks look like?
In general:
--if at least one parent has a crest, chicks may have a crest too
--if at least one parent has 5 toes, chicks may have 5 toes
--if at least one parent has muff/beard, chicks may have muff/beard
--if one parent has Silkie feathers, and the other parent has normal feathers, some chicks will have normal feathers. If the normal-feathered parent also carries the gene for silkie feathers (like if one of its parents had silkie feathers) then you should also get some chicks with silkie feathers.

For chick colors, looking at the photos, I am guessing your rooster and his mother each have one copy of the Dominant White gene, which turns black into white but allows some bits of color to show through. (That effect gets called "paint.")

Based on that, I would predict that about half the chicks will be mostly-white (similar to your rooster and his mother). The other half will probably resemble your chicks and their parents-- shades of gray (blue) or black, with various amounts of gold or other colors.

my rooster is a splash
If your rooster is splash, my previous guess about colors is wrong. He will produce chicks that are blue or splash, likely with some amount of gold or other colors showing in some places.

(I am not good at telling from photos whether a chicken is splash or paint. The appearance can be similar, but the genetics are quite different, so they give different results when you breed from them.)

In general:
--if at least one parent has a crest, chicks may have a crest too
--if at least one parent has 5 toes, chicks may have 5 toes
--if at least one parent has muff/beard, chicks may have muff/beard
--if one parent has Silkie feathers, and the other parent has normal feathers, some chicks will have normal feathers. If the normal-feathered parent also carries the gene for silkie feathers (like if one of its parents had silkie feathers) then you should also get some chicks with silkie feathers.

For chick colors, looking at the photos, I am guessing your rooster and his mother each have one copy of the Dominant White gene, which turns black into white but allows some bits of color to show through. (That effect gets called "paint.")

Based on that, I would predict that about half the chicks will be mostly-white (similar to your rooster and his mother). The other half will probably resemble your chicks and their parents-- shades of gray (blue) or black, with various amounts of gold or other colors.

If your rooster is splash, my previous guess about colors is wrong. He will produce chicks that are blue or splash, likely with some amount of gold or other colors showing in some places.

(I am not good at telling from photos whether a chicken is splash or paint. The appearance can be similar, but the genetics are quite different, so they give different results when you breed from them.)
thank you so much, i can't wait to see what happens 🥰

A lot depends on what generation silkie X they are. I would most likely expect 50% hard feathered and 50% silkied birds.

Back
Top Bottom