What would nab a chicken during the day?

ChickMandy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Amaranth Ontario
We've just started with chickens this April, and have a small pullet flock of four. They are let out each morning to roam around the property. We're rural, surrounded by farmland, but have about an acre and a half ourselves, completely treed (not fenced). So far there haven't been any issues with predators that we know of. Today, only three girls were hanging around the yard at supper time. DH went for a walk around the perimeter (sometimes they hide under the trees) but couldn't find the last one. By 9pm, still only three were around, and they were put back into the coop.

I just checked outside now (11pm) and still no chicken has returned.

What kind of predator would be out and about during the day, and strike while we're home, kids in the yard, etc.? Our neighbours do have dogs which sometimes get loose, but none were around today.

Still hoping she returns safely later tonight or tomorrow. Sigh ... that's our first one gone if we never see her again.

At this time of year...at least where I live on 31 acres in Delaware the predators are out hunting during the day. Not common, but not unusual. Fox, Raccoon and Possum....I have seen them all this week.

The Hawk is always overhead or in a near tree. I have had one as bold as to attack a bird standing next to me on the ground.

If they have little ones to feed they are really on the prowl.

These are "full grown" ISA Browns. Would a hawk or a cat even bother with something that size? I could see a smaller breed, or a chick, but these girls are pretty big. I've not seen any foxes around here, but that doesn't mean they aren't around. Coons, yes, but mostly at night. I'm so bummed. My DH will be sad if she's gone for good.

Quote:
Ditto... This would be my guess dog or coyote. I live in a rural area of farms. Some of my neighbors have chickens and let them free range during the day and the coyotes have taken their birds during the day. Coyotes are everywhere even in the towns.

We had a coyote come in the yard a few days ago in broad daylight. He killed one of our 2+ months old broad breasted white turkeys. He drug the turkey quite a way. Unfortunately for the coyote, the direction he tried to take the turkey was fenced and he couldn't get the turkey over the fence
hmm.png

Quote:
That's scary to think they'd be around during the day. My kids play outside all the time, and we've got a dog too.

the less folks hunt ,trap and harass them them the bolder they are where the OP is geographically my guess would be a K-9 they normally carry off the prey to pups somewhere coons will often eat what they kill right where they kill it

Maybe she went broody and has a nicely hidden nest?

There really are predators at all times of the day and night, no way to really know what without some sort of evidence.

Back
Top Bottom