What would remove only the head?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bec, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I lost one of muck and he was found with no head and very little body damage...just a little mark on his back. What would do that??

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    An owl or raccoon.

3. Bec

Oh, hmmm....could have been either of those. Why just the head?

4. buddy#2

buddy#2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Perry County, PA
    Racoons have been known to reach through a fence or hole and grab the chicken by the head and remove it. Don't know why. Other animals will eat only the insides of the chicken and not the meat. Guess it depends on what they hungry for

5. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

By just eating the head off, to me it sounds like an animal that is mainly out for a quick meal of blood. The head is the closest to the juglar veins and to remove it gives the quickest source of a blood meal. Hope you're able to trap the varmit causing you this grief.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    it may also have been - thinking of raccoons here - the only part of the body he could pull through the fence. assuming they were in a fenced run when this happened. so sorry for you. i hate raccoons!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Raccoon.

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    weasels will eat only the head. Hope you catch the critter. Gloria Jean

9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    We had free-ranging chickens in our neighborhood in SC, and I found two dead ones in my yard one time, with heads/necks gone. I was told that owls typically did that.

10. Bec

This particular duck and my goose freerange all the time and have for 4 years, well we have had him for 3. But we have never had a problem here.

It just puzzled me that just the head was missing! The rest of him was pretty much fine other than a few marks on his back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by