What would you be willing to do with a predator?

Sorry to hear about your problem with the little furry guy. I agree he needs to go and not speaking about a rehome option.

If you do decide to eat the little guy, the internet has great recipe ideas for Mr. Groundhog with skinning and cleaning tips. They have two little scent glands that you need to find and remove so you don't ruin your tasty dish. :)

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

http://www.kness.com/pest-control-center/small-animals/groundhogs#:~:text=Place your trap near the,is often the preferred bait.

Trap him in a live trap, (box trap) and take it to a distant remote location, turn him loose. You will feel better if you do that. If your asking, it's not your nature to dispatch this critter, and if you go against your nature you will regret it forever.
That was my thought as well. But some references said that groundhogs do not adapt well in a newer environment. Especially with winter coming on. We’ve set a havahart trap, hoping to get success soon. Again, I love animals, but this one is becoming a dear nuisance to myself and my ducks. I have to agree with the others who say most humanely way is to trap and shoot. May God forgive me.

Okay, not really a predator to ducks, but I’ve dealt with a nuisance groundhog for years. It is always trying to get to the duck’s food, and eats my garden vegetables.

The last straw(s) for me was 2 days ago, when it burrowed a huge hole under the door of my duck barn. I didn’t see it till I let the ducks out, and one girl fell in it (fortunately not hurt).

I filled the hole with rocks and topsoil. Last night it apparently started chewing at the bottom of the barn door to get in.

I researched some humane options like havahart traps, but what would you do with a groundhog then? I also read that groundhogs can’t survive well if displaced. Poison or other chemicals are out of the question due to the ducks.

i do love animals, but I can’t help but think a quick use of a shotgun might actually be most humane. One way or the other he has to go.
i believe i'd shoot him. it may not even be legal in your area to relocate. i don't have a heart for groundhogs because i've been fighting them the last few years. they have been destroying our yard (luckily not our coop pen so far.) but we do have a weasel or something stealing our eggs by digging into the back part of our main coop.

Back
Top Bottom