What would you breed a Cornish x hen too?

Deleware would be a good one to breed with. Theyer a great dual purpose breed and were once a very big part of amaerican meat production.
I've been researching this matter very extensively, but I can't see that Delawares were of any importance for a meaningful time.

This is the timeline:

George Ellis of Delaware created the breed in 1940. That's great but can't see any reference how widespread they got in War Time USA and shortly after the war the Chicken of Tomorrow Contest started on 1946 which was won by Charles D. Vantress of California Vantress Hatchery with a Cornish/NH Cross and Mr. Henry Saglio of Arbor Acres was second place with White Rock, very shortly after their success they started the Sire Line(Cornish/NH) and Dame Line(White Rock) sold separately to broiler hatcheries. No mention of the "Successful" Delaware/Indian River cross was never ever even mentioned(average dual purpose by any standards) on the contest. Then by 1952 the Delaware was accepted as a breed on the APA.

So it was created in 1940 had about 1 year before America joined WWI, shortly after WWII was over The Contest of the Chicken Of Tomorrow started(and ended) so by 1950 Multi Pedigree Broiler production was very strong and on 1952 the APA Accepted them as a breed, that's a very shallow resume as a production type bird.

I've been researching this matter very extensively, but I can't see that Delawares were of any importance for a meaningful time.

This is the timeline:

George Ellis of Delaware created the breed in 1940. That's great but can't see any reference how widespread they got in War Time USA and shortly after the war the Chicken of Tomorrow Contest started on 1946 which was won by Charles D. Vantress of California Vantress Hatchery with a Cornish/NH Cross and Mr. Henry Saglio of Arbor Acres was second place with White Rock, very shortly after their success they started the Sire Line(Cornish/NH) and Dame Line(White Rock) sold separately to broiler hatcheries. No mention of the "Successful" Delaware/Indian River cross was never ever even mentioned(average dual purpose by any standards) on the contest. Then by 1952 the Delaware was accepted as a breed on the APA.

So it was created in 1940 had about 1 year before America joined WWI, shortly after WWII was over The Contest of the Chicken Of Tomorrow started(and ended) so by 1950 Multi Pedigree Broiler production was very strong and on 1952 the APA Accepted them as a breed, that's a very shallow resume as a production type bird.
Idk what to tell you maybe I read something that was giving the wrong information. I read else where that it was. Actually was stated as great importance to America. They lay 280 eggs a year and are a heavier bird. It was my opinion and im allowed to have one.

Idk what to tell you maybe I read something that was giving the wrong information. I read else where that it was. Actually was stated as great importance to America. They lay 280 eggs a year and are a heavier bird. It was my opinion and im allowed to have one.
Sorry it was not intended to you of course, but the whole "Delawares" were of great production value has been passed down as truth for a long time and people keep repeating the same information and then it becomes true. But their production record is very shallow if nonexistent to be honest. I would love to be proven wrong though. If anyone can find information how they were an important source of chicken meat during World War II that would be enough for me(1941-1946) because afterwards they have been replaced by Vantress/Arbor Acress Hybrid Broilers.

I will keep searching and if I find something I will be the first one to post it. Otherwise is all hearsay

Sorry it was not intended to you of course, but the whole "Delawares" were of great production value has been passed down as truth for a long time and people keep repeating the same information and then it becomes true. But their production record is very shallow if nonexistent to be honest. I would love to be proven wrong though. If anyone can find information how they were an important source of chicken meat during World War II that would be enough for me(1941-1946) because afterwards they have been replaced by Vantress/Arbor Acress Hybrid Broilers.

I will keep searching and if I find something I will be the first one to post it. Otherwise is all hearsay
My apologies I thought you were trying to be rude. Misinformation is a problem on the internet or word of mouth.

Back
Top Bottom