What would you call this color?

wolfie115

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
So I have a mixed flock here at home, unfortunately no purebred pairs so when breeding season comes we get a backyard mix of some interesting looking birds. :) Last year our only heritage hen was a Blue Palm who was breeding with one of our two Narrie toms. They produced poults that looked like this:

The pattern was similar to that of our Narries when they were poults, except we had "diluted" looking poults as well as the dark "normal" looking color. We didn't keep any of the dark poults, but I did keep a diluted one. She's really beautiful and we had no problem finding homes for any of them despite the fact that they were mixed. :)

She looks like this now:

She has gorgeous tail feathers too.

I don't know, but they sure are pretty! It will be neat to see how they turn out as they grow. Love the pics of your "diluted" color turkey---like a pearly silver blue, very cool. We have two BBBs and I really want a pretty heritage turkey...

A blue palm is simply a royal palm with one or two blue genes. The blue is dominant so you may not know if it has one or two. Palms also have two gray genes and two Narragansett genes, and are black-winged based.

The narragansett is a standard bronze with Narragansett genes.

When you cross them, the offspring will get a bronze based gene and a black-winged base gene. Bronze is dominant over balck winged, so the offspting will look bronze based, although they may have weak barring and an occassional black primary. The offspring will get one gray gene which will not express itself this generation. The offspring will get the narragansett patterning sonce both parents have Narragansett genes (hens only have one, but they still look Narragansett and pass it to the toms, sex-linked). And then the turkey in the photo clearly got the blue gene from mom.

So what you end up with is a blue Narragansett with recessive black-winged base and gray genes.

Back
Top Bottom