What would you call this Rooster’s color?

Here is his comb head-on.
1358F873-C4FD-437D-9953-4D6965080A29.jpeg

What would you call this comb? View attachment 2616896
Pea. I like the parrot beak. It’s not at a chrysanthemum comb development. Ko Shamos look really fancy because of the chrysanthemum combs.
(i really don’t know if I like them anymore, “chrysanthemum” is too hard to spell)

Florida Bullfrogs is definitely pea. It is heterozygous for single comb, but so were some of my Buckeye LF.
I feel like a comb should be defined by its genetics (and the dominant trait, not recessives) not what it looks like. At least combs have been mostly consistent... plumage colors are... to put it confusingly... a horse of a different color.

As where a question has come up about his comb... I consider his comb a pea comb, albiet modified with straight comb genetics. But still pea comb overall. Am I incorrect?

A pea comb looks like 3 rows of peas growing from the beak up. It's not a raised comb.

Yes, by textbook definition. Often with gamefowl pea combs are crossed to straight combs and the resulting modified combs are considered “pea” even though it doesn’t look like a classic pea comb.

So if that isn’t a pea, would you call that a straight comb?

What a lovely rooster!!! I quite like the depth of the red on him.

Not quite able to decide based on the side profile - but that comb could be either a very large pea.. or perhaps even a rose??

Edit to add: I'm looking at the way the comb is raised up off the head like that at the back - that's not really typical of a pea comb structure. That's something I see on my rose combed birds and some singles.

chicken-comb.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom