6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Ok so curently I have 10 chicks.
2 buff orpingtons
2 red leghorns
2 black jersey giants
2 americaunas
2 red sexlinks

I really want to add some cochins, the min purchase is 4 so that would bring the flock up to 14.
I had planned on building a run that was 8x13 and a coop 5x8 which should be fine for the 10 but to add 4 more birds I need more space. I find conflicting information from 4sft in coop and 10sqft in run, and 1.5-2 sqft in coop and 8 sqft in run.

I am not sure here which is right going by the first standards the original designed run is large enough for the 10, but the later standards it would be just short of 3sqft of coop space and 7.5 sqft for run. for 14 birds so I could bump up the run length a little to meet the 8sqft but I don't know if that's really sufficient.

I don't HAVE to have cochins but I would really like a couple. Thoughts?

A lot of that has to do with where they will spend most of their time. If they only go into the coop to sleep..then you could probably skimp on the coop size.
If the run isn't covered...and inclement weather hits, do they all go inside the coop? If its to cramped, that could be cause for fighting if they gotta stay in there for any length of time.

I have a dinky coop...compared to the number of birds I have. No where near enough space. But they free range all day. Bad weather hits, they all go to one of two spots. Under the a tree, or under the deck. I get away with a small coop cause they only go into the coop when it gets dark.

so I had planned on making the run attached to the coop. and the coop will be raised about 2ft so they could seek shelter under the coop or inside it. the coop I had planned was 5ft wide x 8ft long x 4ft tall. and the run would be 8ft wide x 13 ft long(which includes the space under the coop) x 4ft tall. I live in GAS so it's more humid then it is cold really so I plan to make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

I got all pullets is what I was told, except the black jersey giants I do not know they came from a straight run so I might end up with one or two roosters in which case I'd have to re-home one of them at least but not sure I want any so maybe both?1?

I only use 2 to 2.5 sqft per bird in coop. I don't heat the coop or have food and water in there. The layer box is attached and coop only has roosts in it and pine shavings. This is my management style and my cold hardy birds are raised this way so there are no problems. Run space is far more important and the bigger the better. Birds want to be outside as much as possible, this last winter my birds hovered in the coop for the morning two different days, both were below -20F mornings. I just threw some BOSS in the coop so they could fill their crops and they came out on their own to feed and drink by 10 am. Obviously this management style only works if you open the coop early each and every morning.

If you think your management style will be to keep your chickens locked up in the coop during days you think are too cold or other reason then you'll need much more space per bird and to keep food and water in there for them. This is why people use such large coops. It's there management style but not a necessity for cold weather birds. Well, perhaps in Northern Canada where temps hit -50F for days on end. On the opposite end in hot weather areas you don't really need a traditional coop only full predator protection, shade/rain guard and wind shield.

I planned on free access to the coop actually. I planned on making a covered top run and free access to the coop. so it sounds like I could leave the coop my originally planned 5x8 size and bump the run to 24ft long and 8ft wide which would then give 14 birds 13sqft of run.... I am new to this whole thing so I just want to make sure I do it right

Ok so curently I have 10 chicks.
2 buff orpingtons
2 red leghorns
2 black jersey giants
2 americaunas
2 red sexlinks

I really want to add some cochins, the min purchase is 4 so that would bring the flock up to 14.
I had planned on building a run that was 8x13 and a coop 5x8 which should be fine for the 10 but to add 4 more birds I need more space. I find conflicting information from 4sft in coop and 10sqft in run, and 1.5-2 sqft in coop and 8 sqft in run.

I am not sure here which is right going by the first standards the original designed run is large enough for the 10, but the later standards it would be just short of 3sqft of coop space and 7.5 sqft for run. for 14 birds so I could bump up the run length a little to meet the 8sqft but I don't know if that's really sufficient.

I don't HAVE to have cochins but I would really like a couple. Thoughts?
My 2 cents worth....

More space is always better than not enough space, whether its in the coop or run. You need to decide where they will spend most of their time, in the coop or in the run? Will they have free access to both at any time? Also to consider is your location and how you managed your chickens. If you heat your coop in the winter (not a fan by the way) a smaller space is easier to heat and keep warm than a larger space. If they spend most of their time outside, then make the run a littler larger. If they will be locked up inside the coop for long periods, then make the coop bigger. The square footage recommendations are only guidelines. Again, bigger is better when it comes to chickens. If you have limits on how many chickens you can legally own at your property, then plan and build for that limit, because then if you succumb to chicken math, you are still covered and don't have to worry about adding on, or over-crowding. When chickens are crowded, they tend to peck at each other and become stressed. Stressed chickens usually result in fewer eggs and increased illness.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom