What would you do? Dove Adoption

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So yesterday I went with a group of bird lovers to help clean up at this absolutely horrible bird sanctuary. I'm not going to talk about that yet, because I want to make a separate post.

Anyways, while in the limo (Yeah, we went fancy LOL) I mentioned that if the lady had any doves or pigeons, I would be willing to try and get them out of there by talking with the owner. My friend got all excited and one of the other ladies mentioned she had four white doves that needed homes. So me of course not thinking before speaking, I said I would take them. I figured they could go with my other doves eventually.

So I was supposed to pick them up today, but other things came up for the lady that has them. She had Joyce (My friend) call me and ask if they I was going to put them with other doves because they couldn't be put together. Eventually I wanted them all to be together. So now if I take them I would need an extra cage. Also, if ever I wanted to rehome them (if anything came up and I needed extra cage space) I wouldn't be allowed to. Also, the lady says they are inside right now, but have been out before. I cannot keep them in my house and I told her they would need to be outside, but now I'm not so sure winter is the right time to stress them by changing their environment.

I feel like if I take them, they aren't actually mine. What if a predator gets them (I don't plan on it, but what if?). What if I need to rehome them because of school or some other reason. I never just give my animals to anyone, but I know that would be unacceptable to the current owner. The situation they came from was atrocious and I really want to help, but it seems like I would be locked in and I'm not sure I want that.

Update: The lady just called about the doves and I asked her some questions. She said it would be fine to put them outside, but that the vet said white doves can't be mixed with regular ringnecks? That doesn't sound right to me. I have two white doves in with mine right now.

I told her that I don't want anything to happen to them and I'm not sure it would be right for me to take them at this time. I hope I did the right thing. I feel horrible about going back on my word, but now everything they tell me keeps changing. I'm also afraid that the standard they have for the care of these birds are up there right along side with the parrots. I take great care of my birds, but I'm not sure they can understand that they will be living on a farm and they will not be going to the vet regularly or getting all the vitamins and minerals they give them. Grrr...I don't know why I get myself into these situations!

Tough spot. I would say once they are yours you can do what you'd like with them. As long as you dont sign anything, legally you are not bound to follow rules she set.

Are you comfortable telling her that if you take them, you will give them great care and do your best to ensure their safety but that you will access the situation as you go.

Is there a chance of her finding any of this out?

OH--I would think that you could mix them with no coomplication due to breeds also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom