What would you do? TURKEYS!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Julie_A, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I've been offered a young pair of Royal Palms. Good mannered birds, just need rehoming due to predators issues at their current home. What would you do? Housing and run space is no issue. Only concerns are that we've never owned turkeys... Also, we have about 25 chickens.

Any input/comments are appreciated.

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We got turkeys to "test" the brooder out. We love them. They follow me around like lost puppy dogs. The only problem we have is one hen thinks she need to roost on top of the coop each night.

3. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I keep my hens' wings cut. Will I cut the turkeys' wings'?

4. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Quote:What I would do would be take the turkeys! [​IMG]

5. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Quote:Turkeys fly a lot better than chickens.... At least younger or lighter ones..... When toms get big and heavy they aren't much on flying. The hens generally remain pretty good fliers though.

6. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    My 6 bourbon reds were an experiment. I love them!!!! They see me in the yard and come running. Just like a faithful dog. When I go to pick raspberries, I have to sneak around the garage and barn so they don't see me. They like to "help." [​IMG]

7. Lu King

Lu King Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    On the Titanic
    Take the turkeys. You will enjoy watching their antics. I much perfer them over chickens.

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I think the biggest question is space.... If you decide to let them free-range they will need lots of space or they will run away. If they are in a run, it will need to be a large run. They like to roost higher than chickens too. Should get along ok, though.

You will find good info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92240

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by