What would you do?

bobbi-j

Enabler
14 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
I have 5 Red Ranger pullets. They are about a month past processing, and a couple of them are laying eggs. I noticed tonight that one of them had rattly respirations. She will be butchered, as I don't keep chickens that aren't in good health. My question is, with the respiratory thing going on, would you eat her? I'm torn. I guess I'll see what she looks like inside, but the thought of eating a potentially sick bird kind of makes me... :sick

Red rangers are a lot more healthy than CX and can live for a decent amount of time. I would toss the meat but that is probably because I toss any bird that looks weird to me after I butcher it. I usually would just feed it to some of my dogs but sometimes if it looks really odd I just feed it to the wildlife.

Red rangers are a lot more healthy than CX and can live for a decent amount of time. I would toss the meat but that is probably because I toss any bird that looks weird to me after I butcher it. I usually would just feed it to some of my dogs but sometimes if it looks really odd I just feed it to the wildlife.
I have not processed this bird yet. Maybe it was just a glitch in her system. When I observe them during the day, they're all active and healthy. I will definitely be closely examining this bird when we butcher her. If anything at all looks off, she'll be dog food or buzzard bait.

I think that is a good decision. It could be a disease but does not sound like it. I'd guess it is more likely that she has grown fairly big and maybe some of her body parts hadn't stayed caught up really well. If it looks off, don't eat it. If you do eat it you might want to cook it really well, though I cook all mine pretty well. Now rare or medium rare chicken for me.

I've fed sick birds to the local wildlife. I once butchered a cockerel that had dislocated its leg. I tossed the leg but ate the rest.

Most chicken diseases/infections cannot be transmitted to humans, and even more of them are killed by simply cooking the chicken to a safe temperature.
You wouldn't worry about getting early blight from a tomato. You're not going to get sick from eating this chicken.
If for whatever reason it has avian influenza (one of the VERY few transmissible conditions from bird to human and I think the only one that effects lungs), you have a way bigger problem because your entire flock of chickens is about to die and you are much more likely to catch it from your living birds.
It's probably fine to eat.

I think that is a good decision. It could be a disease but does not sound like it. I'd guess it is more likely that she has grown fairly big and maybe some of her body parts hadn't stayed caught up really well. If it looks off, don't eat it. If you do eat it you might want to cook it really well, though I cook all mine pretty well. Now rare or medium rare chicken for me.

I've fed sick birds to the local wildlife. I once butchered a cockerel that had dislocated its leg. I tossed the leg but ate the rest.
No raw or rare chicken for me, either. I didn't hear any gurgles or rattles last night when I locked them up, so it was hopefully just a one time thing.

Most chicken diseases/infections cannot be transmitted to humans, and even more of them are killed by simply cooking the chicken to a safe temperature.
You wouldn't worry about getting early blight from a tomato. You're not going to get sick from eating this chicken.
If for whatever reason it has avian influenza (one of the VERY few transmissible conditions from bird to human and I think the only one that effects lungs), you have a way bigger problem because your entire flock of chickens is about to die and you are much more likely to catch it from your living birds.
It's probably fine to eat.
Yeah, I know that it should be safe... it's just the ew factor, I think. If I'm going to eat something, I want to know that it's healthy.

We’re having a heck of a time fattening up our grazers( meat birds) this year , I think because it was so hot the grass was poor quality, we moved the tractor everyday for fresh brown grass :(

Now they are crowing and chasing the girls I’m worried the hormones will make the meat tough ...

Any hints on fattening them up? We feed 24/7 20% protein grower

Ps I’d eat the sneezing chicken

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom