What would you do?

LALADY1101

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Lake Charles, LA
I received a set of silkie eggs yesterday that are now resting. I have another set coming, but they probably won't be here until Sat. I only have one incubator. I don't know how to do a staggered hatch and to be honest, I really don't want to. My husband is very mechanically inclined and I know he could build a hatcher for me, but I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of not using a store bought bator. The set of sikie eggs that I got yesterday were mailed on Thurs of last week so I really don't think they could sit that long without going in the bator. If you guys recommend that I do a staggered hatch, I'll try it; but I could definitely use some advice on building the hatcher and what to do at lockdown time. TIA Shannon

I've hatched pullet eggs that rested for 3 weeks... 100% hatch rate. I think you would be ok to wait. Just my opinion.

I agree I would wait in your case. We have set eggs as old as 10-11 days and have done fine. Hatch rate was a tiny bit lower but overall it was fine! Now our shipped eggs we mail to people we send them no older than 3 days.

Brandon

I agree, I would wait and put them in at the same time.
But IMO if you are spending money on shipped eggs, I would buy myself a bottom of the line Styrofoam incubator and use it as a hatcher.
It really gives you the freedom to buy eggs when they become available. The down side (if you want to call it that
lol.png
) is that it makes one more of an impulse shopper.
Carolyn

I think it would but I only have Hovabator experience. I bought a second 1588 for a hatcher.
Why not start a thread asking folks' opinion on using that particular one as a hatcher.
I know folks always love to voice their opinions about the LG's
smile.png

Carolyn

Just got off the phone with tractor supply...they have an LG still air for $41.....would this work?

If you're only going to use it for a hatcher... it will be perfect. Just don't open it until the hatch is over.​

Quote:
If you're only going to use it for a hatcher... it will be perfect. Just don't open it until the hatch is over.

There you go!
An Paganbird is a master at hatching with an LG, too.
Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom