What would you do?

LALADY1101

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Lake Charles, LA
I received a set of silkie eggs yesterday that are now resting. I have another set coming, but they probably won't be here until Sat. I only have one incubator. I don't know how to do a staggered hatch and to be honest, I really don't want to. My husband is very mechanically inclined and I know he could build a hatcher for me, but I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of not using a store bought bator. The set of sikie eggs that I got yesterday were mailed on Thurs of last week so I really don't think they could sit that long without going in the bator. If you guys recommend that I do a staggered hatch, I'll try it; but I could definitely use some advice on building the hatcher and what to do at lockdown time. TIA Shannon

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
I've hatched pullet eggs that rested for 3 weeks... 100% hatch rate. I think you would be ok to wait. Just my opinion.

bishopschickens

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Cumberland, VA
I agree I would wait in your case. We have set eggs as old as 10-11 days and have done fine. Hatch rate was a tiny bit lower but overall it was fine! Now our shipped eggs we mail to people we send them no older than 3 days.

Brandon

BawGock

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Idaho Panhandle, USA
I agree, I would wait and put them in at the same time.
But IMO if you are spending money on shipped eggs, I would buy myself a bottom of the line Styrofoam incubator and use it as a hatcher.
It really gives you the freedom to buy eggs when they become available. The down side (if you want to call it that
lol.png
) is that it makes one more of an impulse shopper.
Carolyn

BawGock

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Idaho Panhandle, USA
I think it would but I only have Hovabator experience. I bought a second 1588 for a hatcher.
Why not start a thread asking folks' opinion on using that particular one as a hatcher.
I know folks always love to voice their opinions about the LG's
smile.png

Carolyn

Paganbird

CrescentWood Farm
11 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Western Pa
Just got off the phone with tractor supply...they have an LG still air for $41.....would this work?

If you're only going to use it for a hatcher... it will be perfect. Just don't open it until the hatch is over.​

BawGock

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Idaho Panhandle, USA
Quote:
If you're only going to use it for a hatcher... it will be perfect. Just don't open it until the hatch is over.

There you go!
An Paganbird is a master at hatching with an LG, too.
Carolyn

Top Bottom