What would you do?

Jesschickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
I have 10 Barred Rocks 6 buff Orpingtons that were supposed to arrive to my on friday. Now the person I am getting my Barred Rocks from is saying they have a snow storm there and can not ship until monday. Can I add them to the same incubator when I get them? or should I just stick with my 6 Buff Orpingtons for now. This is my first time doing this so I have no experience and I really want them to hatch.

Thank you for your help!
Jessica

Quote:
Since your a newbie at hatching I wouldn't try it.Are the buffs to be shipped to you too? Can you ask the person with the buff orps to wait a day or two? That way you could set them all at the same time, if they are just one day apart that's not as bad as trying for a staggered hatching. I've hatched chicks for years and I do not do staggered hatches. I tried once and failed miserably!!!

Thats what i figured
sad.png
I am so disappointed. It really isnt the womens fault since she has tons of snow and cant get to the post office now. If I get my Buff eggs on friday can I hold them a few days or would that ruin my success rate?

Quote:
It's just something that happens sometimes!! Sure can't change the weather!! Depending on how fresh her eggs are she sent, you could just wait and try to hold them. Keep them in an egg carton with the lid up so they can get fresh air and shift one end of the carton acouple times a day to tilt the eggs and keep the fertile disc from staying in one place that long. Also keep them in a cool room, not cold but cool 60s. You have to settle eggs that are shipped 12 to 24 hours anyway so go for it. It's a toss up if shipped eggs hatch out for good success anyway. 50% hatch rate on shipped is a good rule of thumb.

I wish there was somewhere locally I could get fertile eggs but I cant find anywhere

well the person told my they would ship on monday so I ordered 6 more buff eggs to arrive on wed also so I can put them all in together. I will add the other 6 Buff eggs that are arriving friday unless there is someone who would want them. When you guys are saying to tilt the box they are in do you mean side to side?

thank you everyone!

Back
Top Bottom