What would you do?

I think drinking during a class trip would be inappropriate UNLESS they were trying some homemade alcohol that was made on the farms.I can see trying some of that,but not bringing booze and getting drunk during the whole class trip.

It's inappropriate. Besides, I dont think Amish folk would appreciate a bunch of hungover puking booze smelling people around them or on their property... at least I wouldnt. Your decision Chickerdoodle13. Good luck.

Quote:
Good point about the Amish... if you are going to be staying on their property..i doubt they would be appreciate people being drunk.

Quote:
Good point about the Amish... if you are going to be staying on their property..i doubt they would be appreciate people being drunk.

Especially with underage students around. Doesn't the prof watch Cops or Campus PD?

Yup..if there are going to be underage kids there..that professor is nuts to allow drinking,..nuts.

Ditto to the last several replies. Honestly, if the professor really intends to allow that, especially with under-aged students along, I'd question their ability to organize and run the trip competently because so far their judgement is pretty lacking, IMO.

On one college trip I went on, we went to Savannah, GA, I remember they said it was ok for those of legal age to drink as long as they could get a ride back to the hotel. I wasn't 21 yet, neither were the other gals I was sharing a room with, so it wasn't any type of issue for us. However we weren't all crowded together or around Amish. That just seems inappropriate to me. It would also really suck to not be able to shower after a night of drinking and/or being around people who also haven't showered after drinking. . .Ugh!

As for going, I guess it would depend on room arrangements. If it's one big room and you wont get any sleep that doesn't sound very fun.

Thanks guys. I'm still really on the fence about it. I'm waiting until tomorrow when I can talk to a couple girls I'm friendly with in the class to see what they think and if they are going.

We are staying at another professor's property who runs a small organic farm during the summer. We will be staying inside her hay barn and sleeping on top of hay bales. I've done that before and it was a lot of fun, but it would certainly be easier if we were separated into rooms! We'll be there a Thursday through Sunday and we are planning to visit several nearby amish farms and a very large organic farm. The daily activities sound great. I just feel that a lot of my class mates are going ONLY for the drinking and not for the actual trip, which is supposed to be educational.

I think the professor is just turning a blind eye to the whole drinking issue. He's been teaching for 30+ years and he's a great guy. That's why finding out he said yes to drinking shocked me!

Quote:
Does the professor who OWNS the property know there will be drinking on HER property...possibly by underage students?

YOU did not PERSONALLY hear him okay this?

I'd be looking into these issues. By the time I got done...there'd very likely be no drinking on this trip. That is a serious serious liability for the owner of that property, and the other professor who is such a "great guy" should not have okayed this and may not have. I'd be confronting the professors.

Back
Top Bottom