1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jibbets, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Jibbets

Jibbets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    So we are getting our baby chicks on/around the 21st of April. We were so careful to discuss with or circle of friends if they would be willing to watch over our flock during our June vacation that we completely forgot we were planning on going out of town on Easter.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am worried about several things not the least of which would be leaving a heat lamp unattended in my home for any length of time.

So, to my original question:

A. Would you leave them in the care of a dear friend who would check in on them a few times during the day and double up with another friend to do the same if necessary?

B. Would you take them with you? We do have a mini van so plenty of room in the back. Approximate trip is 2 hours.

C. Would you bow out and let your spouse and child go and give your regrets on Easter Dinner due to your poor planning and idiocy?

I'm such a dope.

[​IMG]

2. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If I completely trusted the friend, I would go with A. If not, I would go with C. No way would I take them with me.

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    depends on how many your getting and if your staying overnight or just for the day and if your staying with a relative who likes animals and has a garage that you could put the brooder box in. If you are only getting 10 or less then i would just take them and all their stuff with you and make sure you have lots of shavings and a towel and a few water bottles filled with hot water in the box so they don't slide around to much and don't get cold and let your friends watch them in june by that time they should be old enough not to need a lamp

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. Steak and Eggs Farm

Steak and Eggs Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I would leave them with the friend. Even though we all love our chicks and the rest of our barnyard friends we should always remember that family comes first. Don't miss Easter dinner your chicks will still be there when you get home. Reading how prepared you are with getting a sitter already for June, the friends you hang with will know and understand how you want your chicks taken care of.

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agreed... with the only change being... dry rice in a couple of old tube socks, heated in the micro-wave (place in or under a towel to keep kinda clean)... holds heat longer.

6. Jibbets

Jibbets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Well family wouldn't mind if we do bring them. They know we are crazy. [​IMG] Quite honestly I think my niece would just about pee herself if we brought them up with us. She has never been allowed to have/play with anything messy in her whole life. Poor thing.

Normally we stay up there from Friday to Sunday or thereabouts, certainly we could cut this trip shorter. It isn't a day trip though usually.

I just can't believe I got myself into such a pickle on this. [​IMG]

I have wanted chickens for 2 years at least and hubby finally up and decided that it was maybe not such a bad idea (he found a neighbor that has them to talk to). I think I was so excited that I just wanted to get them ordered before either of us changed our minds. I know it is a good choice for us, but well you know What and If get all up in your brain muttering about what they would do if it where them.

I am also hoping that after we have them, that he and I will get to be more comfortable in making decisions on this.

Right now there is just so much we don't know that it is hard to think clearly.

I was thinking that it was really going to be C all the way. Perhaps with some careful planning...

As far as A, I just am worried that if anything went wrong under my friends watch that she would just feel horrible. I don't think I want to put that on her.

Do you know are heating pads (insulated) a good travel option if we were to do that? We do have an outlet in the back of our van I do believe.

Edit to add: We are due to get 8 chicks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

the microwaved rice in tube sock will stay warm for several hours. easy-peasy!

... and I'm glad you finally got your chickens!

8. Magenta_Chick

Magenta_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Georgia
    Im leaving tomorrow for the weekend. My MIL is coming over twice a day to check on the little gals.

They're only a week old, but they seem to be little troopers, so I'm not overly worried... but still a wee bit concerned. But I'm sure they will be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by