1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mogrl840, Oct 7, 2011.

1. mogrl840

mogrl840 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    Ok so I have my Jasper duck and hes an aggressive drake towards babies. I have 3 babies that are about 6-7 days old and 2 that are about 2 weeks now. The babies are living in different places. 3 are inside at night and in kennel during day. The other two are with momma free ranging with the other drake. Babies dont really fight but dont get along. My aggressive drake does fine with momma and the other drake but I have to keep him kenneled due to babies. he dont get out much unless i let him out. I try to everyday but its hard because i have to watch him very close. should i put the babies together and make them get along and let Jasper range with his family again? That means id take babies from momma duck and they would live with the other ones till they are big enough. I feel bad because they were fine until babies came. Jasper is really sad and not eating like he use to. Momma and other drake just sit by jaspers kennel and they look so sad. when i let Jasper out they run for him and they go play. They wont leave his side. I feel bad for my Jasper baby and I wont give him away but I want to keep ducklings too. I guess I wanna know what you guys would do?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:So the ones you have in your house are 6-7 days old and the ones mama duck has are 2 weeks? the older ones will pick on the younger it's just the law of the duck world. but if your there to intervene then you might be able to swing it. I would not keep them together if you are able to watch them though. maybe put the youngest in a separate crate except when you can be there to watch them all together. That way Jasper can be with his family again. You don't want him to get depressed. keep the ducklings separate from the adults till at least 6 to 8 weeks maybe even older since Jasper is mean to them. again you'll have to be there to supervise when they are all together.

3. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    Ok that's what i was thinking. I can tell Jasper is depressed, so is his mate and drake friend. They really do love each other and its sad to not see him with his family. I can take smaller babies inside at night and during day when im not there and leave the older ones in the kennel all the time till they are old enough to range. Momma doesn't really want her babies she wants Jasper. Thank you for the quick response [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG] hoping everything goes great for everyone. More work for you but hopefully worth it in the end. [​IMG]

5. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    Its work but part of owning ducks. I got them and i will take care of them the best I can. I will do anything for my ducky friends. And this site helps so much. Thanks everyone

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know you will I feel the same. Bless you.

7. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    I am glad to say Jasper is back with his family and they are VERY happy. Younger babies are inside and older ones are in kennel. Good thing too because one of mommas babies has a cold. I am going to watch her close and i put a heat lamp in there. It is hot here still so im not worried about the weather too much. Is there anything i can give it to help it. Seems like it has wet burgers and it sneezes. Got a little better since i cleaned it up and gave it fresh water to play in. They eat and drink just fine

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Only thing would be antibiotics but I would go that route yet, maybe just give it plenty of fresh water to wash out its nares will help. and keep it warm, do you have any poultry vitamins? I use Poultry Nutri Drench, you put it in their water,

9. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    After a night under the heat lamp and me flushing the nasal area and lots of fresh water it is doing perfect [​IMG] I also made a big fenced area for the two drakes in front yard and the momma is with babies is back yard. Its about half an acre cut in half. They can see and talk to each other still but jasper has his friend and momma has her babies all to herself. Everyone seems happy. Jasper has lots of room now to free range with a friend

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:What a great idea!! Sounds like it will work out for everyone. [​IMG] forgot to say great news too that baby is good.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by