What would you do...

Christiney

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
I am rather new to this. Last fall I got 3 silkie chicks. As luck would have it they are now 2 roosters and 1 hen. The roosters are starting to scrap. I have been trying to find a home for one rooster and am not having luck. I need to do something. So My Plans are to Build a bigger coop . I can get more older hens locally and try to introduce the 3 I have to a bigger flock and hope that the fighting calmes down.
Is this a good option or will the larger flock not stop the fighting that has started already.
I was looking into getting a 10ft by 10 ft dog pen and put the hen house in it. Right now they are in a 8 ft by 3 ft pen.
Thanks for all your help
Christine

Is it serious fighting, or does it look more like play? I usually list all my roosters on Craig's List for free, and they go very quickly.

If you like them both and want to keep the extra roo, then yes, your idea is very good. Bigger coop and run, and more girls will definitely help.

Sharon

I bought all of my Silkies as chicks and wound up with extra roosters also. I currently have 3 roosters with my 7 hens and have had no real fights between them at all. The figured out who was boss and the others sneak in a little time with the girls when they can but I have never had a serious problem! I even have 2 D'Uccle roosters in with them (sadly, I lost my hens) and they all get along fine!
yesss.gif

Its getting a bit nasty. They are just coming of age and started crowing about a month ago. The white roo starts the fights and doesnt want to stop he even goes after the hen. Thats why I am becoming concerned. They grey rooster is friendlier and will defend himself but will try to get away after a while

Thats why I am thinking that I need more room and more hens. I just wanted to run it past every one before i buy the dog kennel. I guess my other question is and good hints on introducing new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom