What would you do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lcahill, Aug 21, 2013.

1. lcahill

lcahill Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, so my leghorn girls have been laying for about 5 weeks. Yesterday I went to gather eggs and found one under the roost, which happens on occasion. So as I picked it up and I noticed another in the corner of the coop. At the corner of the coop I have a tarp placed on the floor with the litter on top. The floor is gravel so I wanted easier cleaning. So when I moved the corner of the tarp there were 16 eggs hidden. The temps have been cooler than normal here lately and they were layed directly on dry cool gravel. I water tested the freshness and they all layed on the bottom. I'm thinking there is about 8 days worth of eggs from them.

Should I pitch them, cook them for the chickens, or would it be okay to eat them. Most of the eggs sat flat on the bottom of the bowl when I water tested and some lifted just slightly on the big end. Any thoughts? I'd hate to pitch 16 eggs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. kathleen521

kathleen521 New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I bet they'd cook fine, If you're too worried, cook 'em and give them to the hens or if you've got a dog, they'd likely love them too. The ones that lay flat I'd totally eat...

3. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    If your temps don't regularly exceed 90 degrees and the eggs aren't cracked, I'd go ahead and eat them! I keep my eggs on my counter,unwashed, at room temp (65-80 for me this time of year). They never last more than 5 days, but I wouldn't have a problem with ones that had been on the counter for a week.

4. lcahill

OK. I was figuring on eating them, I just wanted another opinion. Any other's thoughts?

5. amishhippie

amishhippie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Eat them up! They aren't broke and you checked them, I say they are OK.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'd eat them too, no need to waste :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I used to find hidden nests all the time when I free ranged. I did as you described, and if they didn't float we ate them. I'd try to remember to crack them into a separate bowl one at a time just to check, but I didn't always remember. Never had to ditch a dish due to a nasty egg.

8. lcahill

Cool thanks! Just wanting to make sure I wasn't too crazy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by