What would you plant?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
We have a planter box on the ground that runs the length of our house in the back. We are looking at planting some things there that goats would appreciate eating once we get some. Kind of like a garden just for the goats. I just have to figure out what to put in it. What would you plant for your goats?

Well, I'd like to know that too since we have other planter areas we don't want them in, but I think my best bet will be to plant trees and somehow protect the trunks and hope for the best, lol.

I wouldn't bother trying to find anything they don't like, even if they don't like it they will try and eat it over and over and over again. Are you planning on letting them free range around the planter and eat whatever you plant straight from the planter? If yes, they will just eat everything, rip the roots out and things will never have a chance to grow back with them always in there. My goats get into everything all the time and wreck everything. I love them anyway but man sometimes....... I have five and they drive me up the wall daily!! Good luck though!!! If they aren't eating the garden they are "prancing"(crushing), "frolicking"(pulverizing), and "lounging"(laying flat out on top off) your garden!! Veggies that my goats love are turnips, corn husks and all, carrots, kale, swiss chard, and parsley, but by far they love weeds!! Weeds of all kinds, thistle, dandielions, clover, and even young stinging nettle!

Meg

Goats eat almost everything. If you don't want them to eat it ..... they will go through fences to get at it. Mine wouldn't eat the corn I gave them when I was husking corn but they will eat rosebushes, blackberries and poison ivy. Goats are odd! They will even eat oak tree leaves. Nothing is safe unless its something you WANT them to eat it.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I know my goats LOVE dandelions and chickweek. However, they do like some herbs too and certain ones are good for them. I can't re-call which ones at the moment though.

Back
Top Bottom