What would you reccomend....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dkelewae, Apr 22, 2009.

1. dkelewae

dkelewae New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Planning on getting 2 buff orpingtons, and wonder what size,type coop to house them in. I need it to be inconspicuous, since I'm in the suburbs and neighbors could possibly be an issue if it's not 'attractive enough' for their liking.[​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Take a look aat some of the chicken tractors that ppl have built. some are pretty nice and you can get ideas from them. Just do a search.

[​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Check out the Coop Design pages. There are alot of beautiful coops there!

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

4. dkelewae

dkelewae New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks! I've already been looking through the coop section here. Lots of very talented people!

What size coop would I need for 2 buff orpingtons? I want to make sure when I take the leap into chicken ownership that my girls will have comfortable housing:)

5. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I had the same issues as mine would be seen by neighbors kitchen windows. The most attractive ones I saw were at www.henhouses.co.uk I barrowed from them. They give a lot of good information too. I don't think opps like to climb up and down much.
    I stained mine a medium golden brown and its a jewel int he garden.
    Good luck

6. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    If your two BOs will be confined to the coop, you will want to build a larger coop than if they will be allowed out during the day and/or you build a run for them as well. If they are confined to the coop, I would suggest a 5' X 4' coop giving them 20 sq ft to move around in (although they would still enjoy getting out to explore the yard once in a while [​IMG]).

7. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

A 4x4 coop with a nice sized run (I'd do at least 4x8) will give them plenty of room [​IMG] For the run, bigger is always better. If you think you *may* want more chickens in the future, go bigger now. If you do a 4x8 coop, you'll save yourself a lot of cutting.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by