What you need to know about Vultures(evil things!)

I do have an actual coop but I would let the broody mothers raise their chicks in the surrounding fence with their own run. I let them raise them as long as they want and sometimes that's too long. I had way too many birds out.

At my farm I have a 32lb mutt (beagle x Boston terrier x ?) that will chase off coyotes. I have a 20lb pug x ? that chases foxes. Seen them both in action on separate occasions. Never trained them anything but sit, come & stay. Nerves of steel - I love these dogs!

Finally, Thanks. That's what Iv'e been saying- driven to that point by hunger! I'm embarrassed to say they didnt have much cover and I had way to many out. I have locked most of them up and have not had as much of a problem since taking preventative actions. What kind of dog do you have?
I use two bird dogs (German Pointers) that required more training than typical for standard / true LGD's. My dogs are very smart and adaptable as needed for keeping wildlife out of birds that are free-ranged in a relatively complex environment where chickens are dispersed into multiple flocks and repressent a range of ages that many would have cooped. Training to keep dogs off chickens has been minimal but keeping them keen on going after threats that are smart in their own right takes the most effort. My dogs now chase raptors and effort seems to be dictated by how chickens respond to raptor. For me vultures do not present a threat but if they riled birds then dogs would keep vultures off ground.

I only have the turkey vulture variety here. They've never been a problem for me. Only had one failed hawk attempt. I think I can attribute that to many nesting wild birds. I've often seen hawks being chased in the sky by robins, blue jays, blackbirds, crows & ravens. My beagle cross was just challenged by a coyote the other day. It called to my dog, but my dog wasn't buying his tricks! My smaller pug stays close to home where its safe. They are both smart enough not to be dead by now.

Back
Top Bottom