What you think about homeschooling??

Thank you most everyone very much!!!!!
ya.gif
I think I'm going for the homeschooling
woot.gif
When i start in September ill let you know how it goes!!!
thumbsup.gif

I wish you well in your homeschooling endeavor! I happen to be a product of the homeschooling system, myself and I think if you believe it is what will suit your needs best, than you have made a wise decision.

Many good wishes to you!
frow.gif

Boredom is only a state of mind, so it is very easily overcome. You will find if you want to be busy you will find so many opportunities too. At this point my kids dread highschool because I plan on making them go to regular school and they won't have time for all their activities.

It can be a good option.Choose the schooling option that fits you best.I wish my parents had given me options.I had to go to PS,and was able to graduate 6 months early.I will let my own kids choose where and how they want to learn.Best wishes.

I was home schooled through high school and could pass the ged test in 7th grade. I did CLEP tests and lots of reading along with keeping a full time job. I spent a day at school with my brother in his senior year. Too many distractions and they were treated like children. Collage was great and I was way ahead with all my CLEP credits. I had no social problems because we live in a small community and I always got to see and hang with my friends...

J

I attended public school and found it easy and not very challenging. I graduated in the top of my class, cannot remember my GPA but was on the honor role. In 4 years of high school I never had any homework I always managed to get it done in school.

For this reason I wish I had been home schooled because I think there it can be more challenging as needed.

It really does not matter if you are home schooled or not anymore as businesses monitor your state scores and will contact you if you are what they are looking for. I will say a good public school counselor is blessing.

Hello from Rosenberg, TX! I homeschooled my two children through elementary and high school. If you are a dedicated hardworking student, I would say GO FOR IT!!!! Colleges like homeschooled children. These homeschoolers know how to study on their own, do their own research, write papers, interact with adults, etc.

My daughter did her high school studies then went to college part-time starting in the 10th grade. She had almost all of her freshman year done by the time she started college full-time. If you decide to do this, check with the colleges around you and see if they have it set up to where you can get dual credit for your high school and college studies.

I wish you luck!

Lisa :)

My three brothers and I were/are all homeschooled through high school. My older brother, my younger brother, and I all got good to great SAT scores, took early start classes at the local colleges, and got scholarships when we graduated (My youngest brother is still in high school). I played volleyball on a homeschool team for four years, took ballroom dance lessons with a homeschool group for five years, and had lots of friends within the homeschool community. In my area, there were lots of homeschool sports teams, including volleyball, basketball, soccer, and swimming. Those were just the ones that I personally know about though, there may now be others. My younger brothers have also taken ballroom dance, and 1 has done basketball, and the other soccer.

I loved being homeschooled. I felt that I got a very good education, had plenty of friends, plenty of time to socialize, and I really enjoyed taking the early start college classes. I graduated high school with 23 college credits to my name, in things like: Spanish 1&2, World History, A fitness class, a computer class, an English class, a music (voice) class, etc. It was also much cheaper to attend college classes while still in high school, and it meant that I graduated from University with my Bachelor's a semester early.

Good luck in choosing what is best for you! If you do decide to be homeschooled though, look around and see what is available in your area. There's probably more than you would think!

Last edited:
I am homeschooling my children and my high schoolers love it. They have the chance to get their school work done early in the day (note I said "chance" that doesn't mean they always take that "chance" and get it done as quickly as they could, lol). Then the afternoons are theirs to spend as they please. My oldest son is now a Senior and plays basketball we have 4 homeschool basketball teams in the OKC metro area and more in the Tulsa area. He has also participated in the homeschool band. We are active in a homeschool coop where the kids take classes I normally wouldn't teach. Such as Photography, Yearbook, French, ect.

Your high school years can be a fun time. It is what you make it. Just keep track of the curriculum you and your parents choose to use and mark the name of each text and the ISBN # on your transcript that way schools can see the level of your skills. I would also keep work samples for each class you take for them to see your work quality.

Good luck on your decision.

Colleges like homeschooled children. These homeschoolers know how to study on their own, do their own research, write papers, interact with adults, etc.

As a former college professor, let me chime in here.
Colleges/professors like SOME homeschooled children. Some do enter college prepared to "study on their own, do their own research, write papers, interact with adults, etc.". These are the kids that are already self-motivated and whose parents spent a lot of time working at homeschooling them, They are also kids who spent a great deal of time with other kids in a lot of extracurricular activities. THOSE homeschoolers have a strong work ethic and great social skills. That is 100% because their parents put a LOT of effort into the process.

Not all homeschooled kids are like this though. I have to say that the majority of homeschooled kids that I taught had issues dealing with anybody that was different from them, had a hard time dealing with imposed deadlines and had a hard time with class structure. In college when an assignment is due it is due right then, not when you get around to completing it. There is an organization to the classroom that you learn in the school setting. It is just not there in the home environment when you are the only student. Part of high school is learning to deal with the people around you, whether they are "good" people or not. Homeschooled kids can be very isolated from others. That bubble is great protection, but it doesn't really teach you to deal with reality. The homeschooled kids I taught had questionable people skills with people outside their comfort zone.

My advice to you would be to look at how dedicated your parents are to this process and consider how driven you are yourself. Your success at homeschooling will be in direct relationship to these two things. It will take a LOT of effort on your part and on your parents' part to do it right.

(Let me add that as unfair as it may be, people WILL judge you on your ability to spell. If you can't spell or have poor grammar skills or use texting slang as you type, people will assume that you are stupid. I myself am a horrible speller. I come from a long line of horrible spellers. Ironically enough, we are all very intelligent people. We just can't spell worth spit. Drop the attitude and learn some coping skills. It's not fair, but it is life.)

Back
Top Bottom