What your chickens can and can't eat!

Pics
Hi, thanks for the list and your effort, much appreciated. 👍🏻 Raw popcorn, from what I understand, isn't recommended for fowl, not because of size,which is generally perfect, but because of the sharp points which can scratch their throats. Tomato leaves seem to only become toxic(when raw) after the plant has already been attacked. Most legumes seem to do similar, take for example acacias and mimosas.. vs giraffes or goats. I, too, totally agree that commercial feed swells about ten times more than rice or other grains. I always wet it up to feed my flocks.

Hi, thanks for the list and your effort, much appreciated. 👍🏻 Raw popcorn, from what I understand, isn't recommended for fowl, not because of size,which is generally perfect, but because of the sharp points which can scratch their throats. Tomato leaves seem to only become toxic(when raw) after the plant has already been attacked. Most legumes seem to do similar, take for example acacias and mimosas.. vs giraffes or goats. I, too, totally agree that commercial feed swells about ten times more than rice or other grains. I always wet it up to feed my flocks.
I also find wetting the food, regardless about all the rice grain expanding controversies, that it just cuts down on food waste by a TON! My chickens used to kick out all their pellets and eat them on the ground and then wouldn’t eat them again, cheeky babies. But I started wetting their food and noticed I haven’t been buying as many feed bags as often as I have before

Excellent post @PMD PerformanceHorses! Thanks so much for posting this!

A few things: I've given my birds kale before, and it was fine. A lot of people question if bread is safe for chickens. I say it is, as long as it's not moldy and is fed in moderation (like most treats).
Lastly, meat scrapes: I've given my birds plenty of RAW meat scrapes. Their favorite meat scrapes is deer carcass. (A lot of people feed their chickens this.) I've given them the whole rib cage, bones, and even unwanted scraps. The ribs and bones are VERY entertaining for the chickens as they'll work on it for a few days.
The latest thing I've been giving my chickens for meat scrapes is liver and heart. I cut it up small so it's easier for them to eat (especially after it freezes on them), and it provides added protein and iron in their diet. They absolutely love it and usually has a plateful gone within a day.
Some kale is pre seasoned from the store and some seasonings aren't good for chickens ❤️

How about salt encrusted sea bass stuffed with salt seasoned seaweed and finished seasoned with a pinch of salt?

I'm noting post #1 has salt warnings. This is a false claim that has been perpetuated on social media. Salt is needed for all animals and no animal will overeat it. The basis of these claims come from chicken industry study to find how much salt can be added to feed. They found the birds stopped eating it if too high of salt content so went further to force feed birds to find what dosage was lethal. The salt didn't kill the birds, science did.
As you said all animals (and humans!) need salt, but they can actually be overdosed with salt (salt intoxication) :)

Except that is not necessarily true.

If someone is butchering an animal, and tosses scraps to the chickens while they work, those scraps will be fresh (some people do this.)

And the list does not have any warnings about mice or rodents needing to be fresh. Someone could easily set traps, then take the dead mice out of the traps and give them to the chickens (so the mice would probably have been dead for some hours, or longer, at that point.)

If the issue is how long the creature has been dead, the list should say that.
I'll add that before the next time I post this :)

Back
Top Bottom