What your chickens WON'T eat

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Blisschick, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I think mine are elitists, but then again, I kinda don't blame them. We have different components of MRE's (meals ready to eat) left over from Hurricane Ike. One of the items is "osmotic raisins". (Does anybody know what that means???) I'm not a fan of raisins, and these are just gross. They're still semi-moist like packaged prunes. I tried giving them to my chickens as a treat. They would all run to them like they were bugs at first, then see that they weren't moving, test them, then give me a look like "WTH?"

I could only apologize. I thought I was doing good![​IMG]

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    The only thing I've seen that my chickens won't eat is mushrooms.

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Ours won't eat lettuce or cabbage [​IMG]

Wendy

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Twice a year around here Weyerhauser Timber Company drops lady bugs from helicopters. Every outside surface is covered in them. I was really counting on my chickens to gobble up them up.
    Forget about it. Chickens won't eat lady bugs. The outside of the coop is covered in em. They must taste pretty bad for my chickens to turn their beaks up at em.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine won't eat ladybugs either, but I have heard the guineas will. I know the guineas eat the big beetles we get here in June, aka 'June bugs'. Some of my chickens won't eat worms either. They just turn around like they don't even see them. Then I have a few that act like worms are the best thing in the world? Silly birdies! [​IMG]

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My chickens won't eat bread!!!!! [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if my guineas will eat ladybugs. Right now they're really focused on screen spline, bedding and their own turds. I don't know how they're being nourished, since most of their food is just sitting on the floor of their house. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if I got defective guineas. They only come out of their house near dusk and that's just to get to the deck and roof.

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:My Chickens would kill for bread. Strange that yours won't.

Mine don't like carrots.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine don't like carrots, either. It's pretty much the only thing they won't touch.

But pumpkin seeds... man they go crazy for those.

9. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Quote:\\

[​IMG] My chickens will tackle one another for bread! I mean they go bazerk for bread! [​IMG]

Hm.... what do they refuse to eat. That's a tricky one. I haven't found much they wont' eat. Mine see me coming with a plate or bag and line up for their helping. Any fruit rinds are huge hits too. They'll eat it all down to a paper thin piece too.

10. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Mine won't eat worms. They just walk by and turn up their beaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by