• Total voters
Why do I have chickens?
Pets/Eggs

Are they pets?
Yes

Do I have meat birds?
No

Do they free range?
No, their covered yard takes up half of our backyard. We let them out occasionally when we can supervise.

What breeds do I have?
Buff Orpington
Black Australorp
Barnyard Mix
Rhode Island Red
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Cream Legbar

Do I want anymore?
Yes, but currently we are full.

How many chickens do I have?

Why do I have chickens?
Covid 10 lockdown. We couldn't go anywhere with our travel trailer in 2020 so decided to get chickens. We have really enjoyed them. They are so cute and follow us around like pets. It is also great to have fresh eggs.
We also have 2 quarter horses
2 Australian shepherds
3 barn cats
All the chickens, cats and dogs hang out together, no problems there and the chickens even get out in the horse pasture.
We have been considering raising calves for meat.

Are they pets?
Yes, But We have been thinking about how to have fertilized eggs and actually processing our own meat. Haven't gotten there yet. Plus our rooster (Cogburn) broke his leg and although he is up and about using the hurt leg as a balance, he has not been able to breed again and he hasn't been crowing since he got hurt.
Do I have meat birds
We read about different chickens and got dual purpose, We live in middle Tennessee.
Do they free-range?
We open Coop door around 730am and open Run to let them free range around 11am. The go back in Run around 330p at this time before it starts getting dark. They will free range longer as the days become longer.
What breeds do I have?
We chose Wyandottes because of dual purpose and their ability to tolerate heat and cold.
Do I want any more?
We are still figuring out how to manage these chickens and we don't want to use our Coop and Run to maximum capacity. We would rather the chickens have some space.
We have 1 rooster and 10 hens
Do people think I'm crazy/Out of my mind?
No, We live in a rural area. Our kids think we are interesting :). We share our eggs with our multitude of children and several friends.

Last edited:
1) Why do I have chickens:
I started raising chickens for the egg's. It gives me great joy to have egg's for myself and to share with family members and some friends. :)
2) Are they pets?:
They are not pets.
3) Do I have meat birds? :
I don't raise them for meat but I have butchered some that were extra's in an order I made, roosters, mainly.
4) Do they free range? :
Mine do not Free-Range. I have a Enclosed coop for them to lay and stay in at night and a run.
5) What breeds do I have? :
I have 2 Buff Orpintons, 2 Wyandottes, 1 Barred Rock, 1 White Leghorn, 2 Sex links and 6 California Whites. As well as a Ameraucana rooster and a California White rooster.
6) Do I want more? :
Good question. Yes and No. I mean sure but gets a lil expensive on the feed, but I love to see what kinda of chicks I'd get with the 2 roosters,( thus the incubator) especially the California white. Better egg layers but the Leghorn has extra large egg's!
7) How many chickens do I have? :
So I guess, 17. :)

Why do I have chickens?

Eggs and breeding, primarily. Fun hobby and I promised the wife.

Are they pets?

We have our favorites and some have names. So kind of.

Do I have meat birds?

Nope. I'll have someone process extra cockerels if I can't rehome them but our breeds are layers or dual purpose.

Do they free-range?

Sometimes. They have large runs and get a chance to range when it's decent out.

What breeds do I have?

Cream legbars, lavender orpingtons, black copper marans, white leghorns, australorps, black silkies, austrawhites, a barnevelder, a buff brahma, a lakeshore egger, an olive egger, and a splash orpington.

Do I want any more?

Duh. I'd like to find a few sussex, more barnevelders, and add more colors to the silkies. There are a few other exotic breeds like shamos and Swedish flower hens I'd grab if given the opportunity.

43. Chicken math is real.

Favorites:

Cream legbars, barnevelders and lavender orpingtons are at the top in that order. There are a lot of great breeds but legbars have everything I like in a chicken - from hilarious crests to blue eggs to fun personalities etc. Orpingtons have that great temperament and I like the lavender color. Barnies are, for my money, the most beautiful chickens with the double lacing and you get great temperaments plus darkish brown eggs too.

My favorite chicken is a silkie, as many people already know. Sadly I don't own any chickens due to the rules of the HOA in my neighborhood, but if I did some of them would be pets and the rest of them for eggs.

Why do I have chickens?
Covid 10 lockdown. We couldn't go anywhere with our travel trailer in 2020 so decided to get chickens. We have really enjoyed them. They are so cute and follow us around like pets. It is also great to have fresh eggs.
We also have 2 quarter horses
2 Australian shepherds
3 barn cats
All the chickens, cats and dogs hang out together, no problems there and the chickens even get out in the horse pasture.
We have been considering raising calves for meat.

Are they pets?
Yes, But We have been thinking about how to have fertilized eggs and actually processing our own meat. Haven't gotten there yet. Plus our rooster (Cogburn) broke his leg and although he is up and about using the hurt leg as a balance, he has not been able to breed again and he hasn't been crowing since he got hurt.
Do I have meat birds
We read about different chickens and got dual purpose, We live in middle Tennessee.
Do they free-range?
We open Coop door around 730am and open Run to let them free range around 11am. The go back in Run around 330p at this time before it starts getting dark. They will free range longer as the days become longer.
What breeds do I have?
We chose Wyandottes because of dual purpose and their ability to tolerate heat and cold.
Do I want any more?
We are still figuring out how to manage these chickens and we don't want to use our Coop and Run to maximum capacity. We would rather the chickens have some space.
We have 1 rooster and 10 hens
Do people think I'm crazy/Out of my mind?
No, We live in a rural area. Our kids think we are interesting :). We share our eggs with our multitude of children and several friends.
I am getting chickens in April, one of which is going to be a rooster. His name will be Rooster Cogburn. My husband is a huge John Wayne fan, and I figured what better way to get him to help me than by naming the rooster after one of his favorites.

Why do I have chickens?
Pets
eggs
entertainment

Are they pets?
Yes

Do I have meat birds
No (unless heritage breeds bred for meat count)

Do they free-range?
Half time sort of
When I’m home they free range my big yard for a couple of hours every day

What breeds do I have?
1 Delaware
1 Easter egger
1 buff Orpington
3 Wyandotte (silver laced, columbian, blue laced red)
2 sexlinks (black, gold)
1 olive egger
1 welsummer
1 cuckoo marans
1 jersey giant

Do I want any more?
YES
I want to live somewhere where I can have like 200 hundred chickens (only kinda exaggerating 😂)

Do people think I'm crazy/Out of my mind?:gig:lau
Maybe but I think I’m just as crazy 😂

Back
Top Bottom