What!?!?!?!?!?

happyhens44

BroodyAddict
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Northern WI
Im so confused I posted a thread asking if my pekins are most likely female or male (with pics) and everyone said male well they dident honk but they dident have the drake feathers... btw mallard is 11 weeks and pekins are 9 weeks.

so new question

why was my male drake mallard trying to breed them? he wassent sucessful they kept swimming away

are they possible females... or do sometimes males try to breed each other

heres somepics of my pekins

55446_duckys_5-14-2010_090.jpg

55446_duckys_5-14-2010_023.jpg

Last edited:
If the Pekins aren't quacking, they are males. My drakes' curly tail feathers always came in a little late, anywhere from 11 to 15 weeks old.

I wouldn't worry about the Mallard...if all of your ducks are the same sex males will try to mate with males and females will try to mate with females. They are strange little creatures...

Males will try to breed other males, and females sometimes hop on other females (it's called "treading" when ducks mate) - it's a dominance thing, gender has nothing to do with it.

Voice sexing is the most accurate way to tell at the age your ducks are at - I know you already know this, but if you have females they would most definately be loudly quacking and honking at this point. If they're raspy or sound like they have laryngitis, they're males.

I agree with Annarie...I had ducks when I was a teen and it was always the females that were the loudest...remember, I'm talking ducks here!

ETA cuz I can't spell!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom