What ????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by debilorrah, Aug 30, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No pic to load yet, b8ut I have a hen that I thought was a black sex link, then I saw a pic of a black maran. They look alike. What is the difference??

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I believe it's the color of the legs and feet. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Marans have gray legs and feet and black sex links have yellow.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Marans also lay very dark brown "chocolate" eggs, while sex links lay generic light brown eggs.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She hasn't layed since we got her a week ago, so I have no idea what color eggs she lays.

5. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Black links also have golden/reddish feathers down the neck and breast. I have three and, although the golden color varies between them, they all have it.

6. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    the black sex link should have yellow legs (leghorn x barred rock cross), but that said, I have seen marans with yellow on their legs but I would say they aren't real purebreds.

maybe somebody else here will know of a good distinguishing mark, like number of toes.

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Marans have white skin, sex-links have yellow skin. Leg color is a very good indicator, as well as beak color. All should be white, though I've seen pictures of black marans who have black legs & feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by