Whatcolor cross of Silkies does it take to make Pink silkies?

cwc362

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Huntingdon- West Tn
I was reading on another thread that Lavender x red would produce pink silkies. I would love if somebody knows about this and could elaborate- Which color rooster and which color hen? etc. -Wayne in Tennessee

Wayne, I don't know if anyone here can elaborate with any experience. Lavenders are a color that is still being perfected. I know some people are using them to make porcelain color. It is hard to come by any really great lavenders at this point without paying very high prices. There is a lady on one of the Silkie Yahoo boards that has a lot of pictures posted of her crosses. She does have some that look pinkish.

Thanks I don't know much about chicken genetics just been interested in silkies lately and had ran across some snippets about the pink porcelain. You wouldn't happen to have a link to her yahoo group do you? thanks so much for the info.. byw My godmother lives in Athens Ala. --Wayne in Tn

one more thing- just checked out the pics on your website---Gorgeous that's all i can say--beautiful birds!!
smile.png

Self blue x red would come out the same as though you bred black x red, since the self blue gene is recessive, although all of the offspring would be carryng one copy of the self blue gene. If you were to breed the f1 birds together, you would get 25% showing the lavender gene, possibly creating a "pink" silkie, 50% would be the same as the f1 (1 copy of the gene, not showing self blue), and the other 25% would not carry the gene at all.

Last edited:
Wayne,

You would cross a red rooster on a lavender hen. All of the F1 chicks will be black leaking red ( non black). They will be black because the lavender silkies carry dominant genes for black color. The lavender gene is recessive so none of the chicks will be lavender. The F1 can give the lavender gene to their offspring.

There are two ways to produce the pink silkies.

1. Cross a male F1 ( showing the most red) with female F1 (showing the most red). You will have to produce a quit a few birds to get the a pink silkie bird- around 40 birds. Around 75 % of the birds from this cross will be black, the rest will be lavender, red (smutty) and lavender red (smutty) pink. You should get a 9:3:3:1 ratio in the offspring. The 1 in the ratio is the lavender red(pink) silkie. Smutty means some black in the feathers. Some of the lavs and blacks will leak red (non black).

2. Another cross involves back crossing a red rooster to the F1 females. Half of the chicks will be black feathered. In the other half of the chicks will be red, you will not know which of the females from the cross carry the lavender gene. You will then cross the F1 black rooster with the silkie red females ( I would use 10 females). This cross will produce some lavender red ( pink silkies) the other birds will be black or lavender.

You will have to do additional breeding between the lavender reds (pinks) to get the black smut out of the feathers.

Julie- you posted while I was writing. I elaborated a bit more on the subject.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom