Whatdo you do with exess eggs?

can you make pickled beet eggs with duck eggs?

Anything you can make with a chicken egg can be made with duck eggs. The eggs are just bigger.

You could...
• advertise them on craigslist. If there are restrictions in your area on eating eggs, sell them as hatching eggs (if you have a drake) OR as pet food eggs.
• Put a little sign out by your mailbox and see if anyone in the neighborhood is interested.
• Put up a flyer at work on a bulletin board
• donate them (as was previously listed)
• bake them in to some kind of dessert and have a bake sale​

QUICHE!!!!! My new favorite food.
smile.png

I make potato salad and use 5# spuds and 40 eggs for the base, add onion, celery, radishes, horseradish mustard, mayo, sweet relish, sea salt and pepper to taste. Stuff is awesome. I made like 10 batches last winter for different functions and everyone raved about it.
smile.png

I have a ton of eggs to do something with.

I might try my hand at egg noodles.
Are they easy to make and dry? Or is there a trick to drying and preserving them? And how do you make the curly edges? A pastry cutter?

I will probably freeze some too.

Quote:
Hmmm....p o u n d cake...
droolin.gif
lol, sorry I just chuckled at the pound cake. I thought to myself, ooo, yeah pound cake... like I need another pound
sickbyc.gif
- but it is an awesome Idea!

Here is a recipe for a 10 egg pound cake. It has been a rather famous recipe to some of us. Member FarmWoman contributed this old family recipe.

10 Egg Pound Cake
3 cups sugar
2 cups Crisco shortening
10 eggs
3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Pet milk (edited to add: Pet is a brand name of evaporated or condensed milk. Dont use "sweetened condensed" milk)
1 tsp rum flavoring
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (optional)

Cream Crisco and sugar together well, then add eggs, beating very well after each. Add salt, flavorings and milk, then flour. Bake in an extra large tube pan that has been floured and greased. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Check after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Cake is done if knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Quote:
I don't know as I eat them all within a month and yes the flavor increases with time. The Jalepeno idea works very well. My friend was used vinager, salt Jalepeno juice and fresh garden pepers to make spicy pickled eggs. I like tangy eggs myself.. I thought it made them to hot for my taste. But he and his friends liked them.. They go well with homemade beer

I think in the old days they were put up for the winter months and served on bread and crackers. So I asume they would keep for a year

I know the Germans kept them on crock is a salt/vinager brine and these were kept in a root cellar type set up.

Last edited:
Make some custard! I have a really good one:

GrapeNut Custard:

7 eggs
4 cups of Milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tbsp vanilla

Mix the above ingredients well, then grease a 2 quart dish with butter, cover the bottom of dish with GrapeNut cereal, then pour mixture on top.

Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

During the baking process most of the grapenuts will come to the top, creating a yummy crust.

Back
Top Bottom