Whats a good alternative to manna medicated chick starter

hollyhock

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
Hi All, We raised chicks from day old to 4 weeks old so far. we fed them manna medicated chick starter from day 1, now they are going through 10-12 pounds a week. i can only get it in 5 lb bags for 6.59 is there another brand that's medicated and comes in 25lb bags. we had planned to feed the medicated chick starter until they are 8 weeks old. do they still need medicated starter?

I can get mine in 25lb bags at my feed store. Maybe you can change brand.
I would still provide medicated starter until at least week 6.

thanks for the imfo, i am thinking of switching to purina medicated start and grow, any comments would me appreciated as to this a good or bad idea

I've raised a lot of chicks and I feed the medicated Purina Starter and Grow. I just keep them on that until they start eating layer at around 18 weeks, at 4 to 6 weeks old they are still very suseptible to coccidiosis.

Most research indicates there's not enough medication in the medicated starter to have an affect on Cocci, should they be exposed. Because of that, I stopped feeding the medicated starter and switched to a non-medicated one made by a local feed mill with good results.

Back
Top Bottom