Whats a good Bantam breed to start with show wise?

I tried Silkies, had a rooster kill all the hens but one, and then had a horrible experience with my last hen who I just lost....So, I still want to show, but im not sure I want to go back to Silkies.
I like the way Show-girls look, and I like the looks of Araucana's as well as what I'v read about the D'uccles.
But again I thought the Silkies would be great...So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas as to what would be a good starter bantam in the show world.
Thank you!

Game bantams are good for a beginner. Either Moderns or Old English. They are pretty easy to keep in condition and are normally easy to train and tame.

Game bantams are good for a beginner. Either Moderns or Old English. They are pretty easy to keep in condition and are normally easy to train and tame.

Game Bantams? Like those long legged ones? *Edit* Woops sorry i read your post to quickly. Modern game hens and Old English, im about to go read about them but what are the differences between he two?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see lots of different bantams winning big. I don't think the judges have a favorite.

This month, there were several different Red Pyle Modern Games with big wins Although they appear to all be large fowl, not bantams. Still a good choice of breed to show and they are available in bantam.

Japanese Bantams seem to win well. Those white crested black Polish Bantams seem to win well.

All of the above are extremely attractive looking, and all look quite different.

I suggest that you pick the breed that you like the looks of and buy the very best that you can afford. Then put in some additional $ and buy slightly better than you can comfortably afford. You want to start with the best possible breeding stock if you intend to show,

My opinion: clean legged are easier to keep in show condition. Feathers on the feet take extra work to keep the feathers in good shape. Distinctive looking breeds get noticed, so they are always a good choice to show, as long as you have top quality.

I see lots of different bantams winning big. I don't think the judges have a favorite.

This month, there were several different Red Pyle Modern Games with big wins Although they appear to all be large fowl, not bantams. Still a good choice of breed to show and they are available in bantam.

Japanese Bantams seem to win well. Those white crested black Polish Bantams seem to win well.

All of the above are extremely attractive looking, and all look quite different.

I suggest that you pick the breed that you like the looks of and buy the very best that you can afford. Then put in some additional $ and buy slightly better than you can comfortably afford. You want to start with the best possible breeding stock if you intend to show,

My opinion: clean legged are easier to keep in show condition. Feathers on the feet take extra work to keep the feathers in good shape. Distinctive looking breeds get noticed, so they are always a good choice to show, as long as you have top quality.

Alright, thats some very good insight thank you.
Do you know where I can go to look at a list of all the breed standards?

Game Bantams? Like those long legged ones? *Edit* Woops sorry i read your post to quickly. Modern game hens and Old English, im about to go read about them but what are the differences between he two?

Modern Games are the ones with the really long legs. Old English have short legs. Both are pretty tiny bantams so they don't require as much space as some other breeds. Both do have to be dubbed (rooster's combs trimmed) for show, so if that bothers you, then another breed would be better. I forgot to mention that.

Another breed that I have recently fallen for is the d'Anvers. They are tiny, cute as bugs with their little beard and muffs, and extremely tame. My 9 year old son loves on his like you would a kitten and they don't seem to mind. The most popular variety is the Quail color. This is our rooster, Mr. Muffet. He's a Self Blue d'Anvers.

You won't find a list somewhere of all the standards together. There are usually breed clubs online and some of them will post the standard for their breed. Hope this helps.

Modern Games are the ones with the really long legs. Old English have short legs. Both are pretty tiny bantams so they don't require as much space as some other breeds. Both do have to be dubbed (rooster's combs trimmed) for show, so if that bothers you, then another breed would be better. I forgot to mention that.

Another breed that I have recently fallen for is the d'Anvers. They are tiny, cute as bugs with their little beard and muffs, and extremely tame. My 9 year old son loves on his like you would a kitten and they don't seem to mind. The most popular variety is the Quail color. This is our rooster, Mr. Muffet. He's a Self Blue d'Anvers.

You won't find a list somewhere of all the standards together. There are usually breed clubs online and some of them will post the standard for their breed. Hope this helps.

Hmm, im not sure I can get used to comb cutting, culling sick birds is hard enough @_@
The d'anvers look really cute :D and I like the sound of there temperments. Ill have to read up more about them! :D
So, is there anyway to read the standards? Or are they all just known by breeders and judges?

You can buy a Bantam Standard on the American Bantam Association website for $35.00. If you join the ABA right now, you can get the Standard with your membership for $30.00. If you're serious about showing, it's not a bad deal.

You can buy a Bantam Standard on the American Bantam Association website for $35.00. If you join the ABA right now, you can get the Standard with your membership for $30.00. If you're serious about showing, it's not a bad deal.

Ah alright thank you very much! :D

There are two places to get standards. The Bantam standard, as mentioned above.

Also the American Poultry Association sells The American Standard of Perfection. It's available on their website and includes bantams, large fowl, ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys.

Someone who shows bantams will have to tell you if the two associations have differing standards for the bantams.

Back
Top Bottom