What's A Good Price?

There are a couple of ways to go about this

One, set the price at retail for 'natural' eggs in the grocery store. Dont go by 'regular eggs', since yours have a selling advantage.
Avoid the term 'organic,' too. Just call them 'natural' or 'yard raised' or 'farm fresh'... whatever. But sell them compared to others with the same advantage. This does have a downside, in that you are reverse price fixing this way. In essence, you take someone elses price and restrict yourself to it.

Another way is to just ask people what they'll give. This is so sublimely simple that we fail to think of it. Accept the offer and then evaluate:

Is is enough to cover your production cost?
Is it enough to give you a profit?
Is the profit at least 1.618 times the production cost?

If you get a 'yes' answer all the way to the end, then you're done. You will not lose money at any point by following this method, unless you do something really dumb. You may be able to raise the price some more, in fact, depending on the buyers' price point tolerance where you live.

If you do not get a yes answer for all 3 questions, then raise the price by 20% for the next customer and do it again.
Keep this up until you get all yesses, or the customer stops buying due to overpricing.

The last price they will pay is your top market price, in your locale. With luck and good planning, the profit will meet or exceed the constant of 1.618(production cost). Most of the time, they come quite close.

Either way, you arrive at a market price for your produce. The advantage of the latter method is you just may get a higher price in the end, as opposed to some fixed store or BYC price....

Last edited:
Yeah i think I will try $3 at first. I have not tried a fresh brown egg yet but from what I hear they are way better then a regular eggs. From what I know of no one in this town sells fresh eggs and when I told ppl I was wanting to raise egg layers I have had a lot of interest from a lot of ppl who are wanting to purchase some from me! I didn't know how much ppl in this town loved them but everyone thinks its a good idea if I started selling them locally.

just checked my local walmart and they are selling "egglands best" brown shell eggs at $3.88. So personally...selling at 3 bucks a dozen sounds ok to me!!

Note: I only have 10 chicks at the moment "all basicly are mixed breed" and only 5 of them will be laying eggs around the time our produce stand will be open. So i will not have alot of eggs to sell really.

We are selling our duck eggs for $3 a dozen and have orders for chickens eggs that were taken before we even had our chicks LOL I know our local supermarket sell the "organic" eggs for over $4.50/dozen

Quote:
This is a really good idea I think I will try this! I am always looking for good ways to recycle and im sure others could really appreciate this gesture as well!

Back
Top Bottom