What's a good starter

callmeRISH

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 6, 2014
So I've raised domestics and I've always been fascinated with waterfowl of all kinds, and I've been wanting to get into ornamentals so what is a good bird to start with, and are there any other differences besides a pond in raising ornamentals over domestics

A good ornamental to start with is a mandarin or wood duck. They both are flighty and need to be in an aviary or a pen with a top over it unless you are going to pinion them. They will most likily be skittish at first but you just have to spend time with them so they will get use to you. This is a good link that will tell you everything you need to know.I'm just starting out too and can't wait to get mine! know

Consider Ringed Teal. Unlike Wood Ducks and Mandarins they're in colorful plumage all year and less flighty.  They're prolific breeders and the ducklings aren't terribly difficult to raise. Being non-native you don't need a federal permit either (you do for Wood Ducks).  They also require little water (a big rubber dish will work fine), will eat regular duck pellets and are pretty quiet to boot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom