What's a reasonable rate for hired help?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the lemon tree, Jul 23, 2010.

1. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    This is still months away, but I bought the Garden Coop plan in the hopes of using it to give my chickens a more spacious home. Seeing as I have no construction skills and frankly, the lack of interest in building it, and my husband would probably take a few months time to get it done with his schedule, I'm thinking of getting some hired help. The designer of the Garden Coop says it should take just a few weekends for the average person to put it together. I've never hired anyone to build anything, so I was wondering what would be a reasonable rate. Of course, all materials would be purchased beforehand.

ETA: This is the Garden Coop's website so you can see what it looks like. You'll have to scroll down a little.

http://www.thegardencoop.com/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    The Rules of The Game:

Employer wants the most work for the least money,

employee wants the most money for the least work.

Here are a few tips that might help:

Get several written estimates
    Ask for references
    Actually call and talk to the reference person
    Have a written contract with a completion date
    Do not pay all upfront, maybe 1/2 then the rest on the successful completion of the job
    Pay by the job, not by the hour

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In addition to the above, price, but do not purchase the materials before getting the estimates. Ask for estimates that separate building material costs--contractors usually get lower pricing than retail. Just make sure that it IS the same or less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by