Whats a well balanced diet for my flock?

aurajean515

Chirping
Oct 6, 2018
Hey guys!
Growing up, my parents always fed our flock layer feed pellets and they free ranged daily.
Twice a month I buy two 50lb bags of layer feed pellets and one 50lb bag of cracked corn and mix that together, as well as free ranging daily for my 75+ chickens.
But I've often wondered if there was a more balanced and complete diet I could be feeding them. Money is tight, but I love my little birds!
What do you feed your flock?

Layer pellets when they are laying. During the winter molt game bird fed. They always get table scraps. They have a pretty big run. So they also get plenty of bugs, worms. We're only have hens.

Stopped doing scratch, cracked corn. This works and it is pretty cheap.

All Flock feed with dishes of oyster shell available is really one of the best options.

Personally, I don't feed layer. See no point. I also have young birds and males, and don't want them having the extra calcium.

Depending on how many bugs your birds are finding per day, you could be undercutting their daily protein ration by mixing corn with layer, as layer is typically the lowest protein you can feed while still meeting their needs, and it's meant to be fed alone.

Back
Top Bottom