what's best for nesting material

JR61

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2022
I use straw/hay at the moment but as soon as I place in the laying boxes the girls get in there and scratch it all out is there something else i could use so they don't scratch it all out. Sometimes they lay on the floor with the straw they have tossed out.

I use straw/hay at the moment but as soon as I place in the laying boxes the girls get in there and scratch it all out is there something else i could use so they don't scratch it all out. Sometimes they lay on the floor with the straw they have tossed out.
Is there a lip on the nest boxes? Can you post a picture?
How old are the birds?
New layers (and even some older layers) like to scratch around in the boxes.
I now use a flake of straw and wedge it in the box and form a well in the center. That works for the most part but I have a little Sebright hen hell bent on scratching in the nest boxes so I do find it banked up along the back wall of the boxes frequently.

How old are the birds?
I now use a flake of straw and wedge it in the box and form a well in the center. That works for the most part but I have a little Sebright hen hell bent on scratching in the nest boxes so I do find it banked up along the back wall of the boxes frequently.

I have nothing to add to this excellent advice -- which Dobie gave to me a couple years ago.

I use straw in my run and I don't even bother spreading it out because they can't wait to eat the seeds and spread it for me. I use large flake pine shavings in the nest boxes and they don't bother it other than to make a comfy little spot when they lay. Maybe yours are trying to get all the little tidbits out of the straw or hay like mine do?

I use excelsior padding. It is a little more expensive, but they can’t scratch it out & it’s compostable. I buy the bulk stuff, not the pads, make a well in the middle & the stuff lasts a very long time. I have had a box of it for 5 years & it’s still basically full. I find if someone is molting & sleeps in there the poop just shakes out & I can flip it over. If an egg breaks I can just pull the icky part out.

I don’t think it’s a hugely popular option, maybe because of the price compared to straw or shavings, but I really like it. Much cheaper if you buy a box of the bulk stuff.

We use straw and they kick most of it out where we put it on the floor (walk in coop) but the nesting area they don't mess with.

In fact they usually make an actual nest out of it where they lay.

I'll see if I can snap a pic tomorrow.

How old are the birds?
I have milk crates .I place some wood in front of the crates, Its a lot better thanks for the advise. There is straw left inside now.

Back
Top Bottom