Whats best to feed Heritage chickens intended for meat?

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
What do you feed chickens that are intended to be used for meat? I have raised CX before and fed meat bird feed but I am now raising Brahmas and I have quite a few roosters of Brahmas, EE and OE. Do I feed them a meat bird feed or is that to much for them? Or do I just give them a higher protein feed? plan to send to freezer around 8 months.

My birds get 20% starter/grower crumbles until large enough for pellets then entire flock gets Turkey/Game bird finisher which is also 20%. Oyster shell supplied to layers via tossing handfuls on the ground each week.

Last edited:
My birds get 20% starter/grower crumbles until large enough for pellets then entire flock gets Turkey/Game bird finisher which is also 20%. Oyster shell supplied to layers via tossing handfuls on the ground each week.
They get 20% starter grower as of right now. all my young ones do. Does feeding them the Turkey/game bird finisher plump them up towards butchering age? Trying not to sound dumb but ive only raised Cornish X in the past for meat and this is the first non meat bird i plan on raising

Back
Top Bottom