1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats best to feed Heritage chickens intended for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TheHappyHen21, Jul 12, 2016.

1. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    What do you feed chickens that are intended to be used for meat? I have raised CX before and fed meat bird feed but I am now raising Brahmas and I have quite a few roosters of Brahmas, EE and OE. Do I feed them a meat bird feed or is that to much for them? Or do I just give them a higher protein feed? plan to send to freezer around 8 months.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I feed mine the same as I feed CX, 20% Flock Raiser or 22% Turkey/Broiler Grow. Sometimes a mixture.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    My birds get 20% starter/grower crumbles until large enough for pellets then entire flock gets Turkey/Game bird finisher which is also 20%. Oyster shell supplied to layers via tossing handfuls on the ground each week.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    They get 20% starter grower as of right now. all my young ones do. Does feeding them the Turkey/game bird finisher plump them up towards butchering age? Trying not to sound dumb but ive only raised Cornish X in the past for meat and this is the first non meat bird i plan on raising

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by