What's causing this? Moldy food?

Chic CAN

The Wisdom Chaser
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 9, 2012
One of the Large states U.S.A
I gave mchickend older veggies from the fridge, I've done it before and have had no problem but now I have a hen msking noise like this one only she isn't squawking as often.

If it is moldy food what will it do and what can I do to help. She has no facial swelling or drscharge just an awful noise on exhale, her mouth is open like she's struggling. Her cruop is empty and I massaged hor throat.

I just read that avacoado is h toxic to birds and not to feed it to chickens............ but my gradparents had their coop under an avacado tree and they never had a problem.... There was a small amount of avacado in the scraps 2 days ago- but that would have shown up before I think.

I just read that avacoado is h toxic to birds and not to feed it to chickens............ but my gradparents had their coop under an avacado tree and they never had a problem.... There was a small amount of avacado in the scraps 2 days ago- but that would have shown up before I think.

it cpould be the chickens formed a resistance to the toxin

but yes avacardo and raw potatos are toxic

BTW OP looks like your chicken is tired and stressed from over mating

that back is very bare

Last edited:
Her symptoms look quite similar to gape worm so it may be this, but I also would not feed mouldy food to chickens, I use Ivomec to treat my chickens against this nasty parasite as their habit of eating slugs exposes them to it.

The video is not my chicken . I just had one doing the exact same thing so I used it as an example. No my orp isn't quite laying eggs yet. She did stop and is fine now. Then I noticed a few sneezes int the flock. Nothing today. I wonder if she had something stuck in her troat?

Quote:
The hen in the video looks to have an apron on, not a bare back.

OP. I had a hen that sounded a lot like the hen in the video you posted, though a little more "gurgly." She too had no nasal or ocular discharge and none of the other hens in her pen had any of the same symptoms. The sick hen sounded like a "percolator." With all the hot and humid and just all around gross weather we have been having, I ended up treating her for a fungal infection using non-activated Oxine (there's lots of information on the forum re the uses of non-activated Oxine). Within 5 days there was a marked improvement and after the 10-day treatment she was well enough to re-integrate back into the flock. Good luck with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom