what's "culling"

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
ok...I know this is going to sound stupid, but i just read a post where someone said that they culled a mean rooster. So I assumed that it meant killed, but when I looked it up, it says "to collect, gather, pluck"???
hu.gif

Generally, it means to remove a bird from your flock. Whether it's by killing, selling, giving away, etc. - it's up to you.

Culling can mean a lot of things.

For a mean rooster it could mean freezer camp (aka, butcher and process for human consumption).

It could mean killing and disposing of a sick chicken.

It could mean being removed from the breeding pen (for qualities you don't want to work with) and re-homing the bird.

It it used for different specific meanings, but they are all basically the same - to remove the bird from its current flock.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cull
Definition of CULL vt \\ˈkəl\\

1: to select from a group : choose <culled the best passages from the poet's work>
2: to reduce or control the size of (as a herd) by removal (as by hunting) of especially weaker animals; also : to hunt or kill (animals) as a means of population control

[email protected] :

ok...I know this is going to sound stupid, but i just read a post where someone said that they culled a mean rooster. So I assumed that it meant killed, but when I looked it up, it says "to collect, gather, pluck"???
hu.gif

Cull means to separate into two (or more) groups with the intent to dispose of the groups with the least desirable characteristics (disposal method unspecified) the normal method is disposal by killing when applied to livestock or wildlife.

Having the offspring of a mean rooster usually is considered to result in mean chickens. Also a mean rooster is danger to the other chickens and people especially young children.

Meanness isn't a trait you want in chickens.​

Back
Top Bottom