what's dry incubation?

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Dry incubation is what happens when you live it the desert. No matter how much water you add, the humidity never goes over 35%
lau.gif
lau.gif
Like every hatch I do.

No really, someone more versed than me should be able to help, but I think it is when you do not add water or worry about humidity until lockdown, when you bump humidity up over 70%

Sharisr32

Egg Killer ;)
13 Years
Jan 14, 2007
OH/PA Boarder
It is the only way I can get a hatch- You use no added water - I monitor Temp not humidity -
I have not followed the normal hatching rules in 4 years - I put them in the turner and do not turn it off they hatch right in the turner -
my hatch is about 85 on shipped 90 % on my own -

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
No added water during incubation. I'm trying it this time around, the last several hatches I've had terrible results and the very last batch I lost 60% of the ones who made it to lock down to drowning.

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
well, the reason why i ask is cuz my eggs will be here on thursday. i've hatched before....but that was when i was a teen.....22 yrs ago!!! i know i used water during the whole process, but it was SO long ago i can't remember my hatch rates. but what's the physiological stuff that goes on inside the shell i wonder? so if i were to do the dry method.....only add water when lockdown begins? and open the vent hole i'm assuming? thanks guys!

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
ok, i just read that whole article about dry incubation.....how informative! i think i'm gonna do like u were talking about.....compromise a bit and just add a bit of water here and there....i don't have a device to measure my humidity though.....

heritagebirds

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Eastern Shore MD
I wish I could tell you... My first Dry Incubation ended with power outtage just before hatch, lost everybody. I could see the little feathers through the egg shell. Next time there won't be no blizzard, dang it!
lau.gif

Top Bottom