what's going on here?

reallyoldchickenlady

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
I'm really new at this. (Chicken raising) and posting on BYC.
I have 2 laying hens. They started laying in July at 4 months old. for the last month I have been getting 2 eggs every day. This morning there was only one egg in the nest. I had already turned the chickens out to free range and when I started checking around I found "Sissy" acting strange and I found what looked like a large egg shaped poop. Just about that time she dropped an egg in the grass which was about 50 ft from the hen house. The egg was average size for her but not really smooth. More porus. She seemed to be ok, but I did noticed some clearish liquid running from her.
Then about an hour later she dropped another egg. This one was soft shell. Clearly undeveloped. Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Last edited:
sad.png
I don't know but someone will.
welcome-byc.gif

New egg layers frequently have kinks in the plumbing that need to be worked out. Keep an eye on her and if she appears to continue to be struggling with egg-laying issues then she may have more going on than just new layer problems. Do you offer free choice oyster shells? That can help to keep the body loaded up with enough calcium for proper egg laying.

Good luck.

Edited to add-
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
And they probably don't need it at this point, but it's a good idea to keep their calcium levels high to save troubles down the road. I have older hens who were never interested in eating oyster shell, so I stopped offering it. This year one of my hens has developed a severe calcium deficiency that I have been trying to resolve for months. She still doesn't much care for oyster shells, but her eggs are slowly improving in quality. They were so thin in spots that they were breaking as they were laid.

I hope that doesn't happen with mine. I still don't understand what's she doing laying 2 eggs in one day. My gosh, I suppose she will take tomorrow off, poor girl.

I clicked on your post cause I reeely love your name!! It made me laugh. I hope your hen gets things sorted out and is OK. Take 2 tuna fish cans and nail to a post in the coop and put oyster shell in one and grit in the other where they can reach it easily. I have one hen that eats oyster shell like candy and the other one could care less. Offer your girls kitchen trimmings and scraps. They will let you know what they like and what they don't. They like variety as much as we do. My only problem is that I only have 2 hens and way too much goodies........so that means I need MORE chickens.

Back
Top Bottom